Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 12-02-2018, 08:38 AM   #226
cx
Da Home Builder

Tell the the folks at ColorRite the brand name and color of your grout and they'll make you 100 percent silicone in regular, satin, or sanded finish to match.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:44 AM   #227
workhurts

Thanks CX. Also, many thanks to everyone that helped along the way. I appreciate all the feedback and advice. Still need to caulk near the ceiling but I'll do that later. I'm calling this done (ish). May or may not add a door or glass partition.
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2018, 12:45 AM   #228
workhurts

I really like how the baseboard came out with the tile cut into 2' x 3.75" pieces when Schluter on top to match the Schluter at the end of the walls.
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2018, 12:48 AM   #229
workhurts

This was a bit of a pain. Need a mirror though. Also, wiring a 3 gang with 12 gauge and a gfci isn't loads of fun either.
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2018, 06:39 AM   #230
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Nice and tidy, Ali, well done.

Baseboard tile did turn out nice with the metal trim. Clean. Shower design and tile color are great. I'd have mentally struggled with giving up the square footage in order to execute the bench/niche/upper wall but it looks just fantastic - it isn't "just another niche in the wall" (see what I did there? ). If I had the space and general lay out to do it I'd have pilfered that idea from ya.

Yeah, box mounted GFCI's are a PITA in general, more so with 12G. I forget - you have enough water heater for all those shower heads?
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 06:39 AM   #231
Kman

That shower looks amazing. Good job.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:40 AM   #232
makethatkerdistick

I love the looks of this. Great job! Might want to shower a bit to see if you require glass or not.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:51 AM   #233
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I have a doorless shower and the only time I wished I'd installed one is on those cold winter nights when it's down to 10 degrees or so. That doesn't happen here often so I'm happy without one most of the time. Doesn't help that it's against the north wall of my house.

Nice looking shower.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:42 PM   #234
workhurts

Thanks. Will definitely be keeping it door-less for a bit. Will I have enough hot water? For me? Absolutely not. Our upstairs bath, with 2 shower heads will last about 45 mins so I figure this will be at most half that on a 75g boiler. I get more pressure in the basement and I think more flow but have never been a fluid dynamics expert so I could be wrong on the more flow thing. My guess is 20 minutes. Worst case I can always add a tankless as the bath is right next to the hvac/boiler/electric panel room.

Passed plumbing and electrical today for the whole basement ... mechanical and building to go.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:41 PM   #235
workhurts

Tried it out a few times. Doesn't get cold at all. Water does splash almost out to the base of the toilet but I can live with that.

Out of curiosity, what do the pros think labor would have cost to do this bathroom? In nova just outside of DC.

It's 5x14, half of which is shower. Framing, plumbing, moving drain, mud bed, Kerdi everywhere, that niche and bench ....

At some point I need to add it to the insurance policy along with the rest of the basement.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:10 PM   #236
Gozo

Quote:
Out of curiosity, what do the pros think labor would have cost to do this bathroom?
I asked the same question on my bathroom replacement. Paul said “Labor rates go anywhere from $500 per day to $1500 a day. How many days did you work on this project?“. I guess then add material costs to that. I work so slow that we all had a good laugh. Part of the value is in the DIY experience and part in knowing what’s in there and how it was done.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:25 PM   #237
workhurts

How many days did I work on it? That would be the least relevant measure in the world

I really should have tracked the hours. Would have been interesting.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:14 AM   #238
ss3964spd

Regarding the splash, Ali, how far is it from where you stand to the toilet? Just curious.

Because I will be curious, I've been saving each receipt (all electronic) for all the materials purchased for mine, except tools. I'll tally them up when finished but just a quick mental run down of the bigger ticket items is sobering. If I were paying a contractor for materials I'd be also paying his (justifiable) mark up.

Hours spent, hard to determine, and likely not fair to compare to a competent contractor. Given the same quality of work a competent contractor could do any number of tasks in half the time, and often less than, it takes me. The amount of "stare at it" time I spend just trying to figure out how to do something, or the best way to do it, is enormous and someone who already knows how to do something doesn't need to spend time figuring it out.

You're a bit South of me I think so prices might be a bit less, but I'd guess yours is at least a 25K bathroom. If you could have found someone to do that job with the same level of quality and detail is another matter entirely.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:34 AM   #239
workhurts

Dan. From the center of the where the water hits to the closest edge of the toilet is exactly 5'. There isn't much moisture, more like a mist on the tile. Didn't really notice anything on the toilet body itself. The sloped tile on the other side of the drain definitely gets moisture. I didn't see any water splash or anything on the drywall.

As for location, I'm probably northwest of you. I'm due north of IAD now ... in fact I think I hear a plane

In terms of material, nothing really annoyed me much cept for the cabinet and the kerdi drain. I think I spent less than $500 on lumber to frame a 950 sq ft basement but one 4' bathroom cabinet cost that much and don't get me started on the Kerdi drain. I think the drain and the membrane cost as much as all the tile.
Old 01-06-2019, 03:20 PM   #240
ss3964spd

I probably heard the same plane. Not sure why I thought you were South of Centreville, kinda the Culpepper area.

Was curious about the length because I'm using the "guest" bath (though I wouldn't allow any guest I care about use it) which is standard 5' tub with fixed shower head, and I know the far end wall does get splashed on a little.

Once I decide what I want I'll shop for price. What I did discover is many times the cost of a particular thing is controlled by the manufacturer (such is the case for the tile snapper I recently ordered; the cost was within a few dollars everywhere I looked). The accent tile I'm considering, tough, can be had for 1/2 the cost on-line than from the independent tile shop. And if you need something custom, as I do for the vanities, make sure you have a maple bourbon poured before reading the quote.

When the dust has settled I'll have at least as much in this 100 Sq/Ft bathroom than I have in my entire 600 Sq/Ft basement job, which included a bathroom!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase