Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-15-2021, 10:41 PM   #31
diydanny

Thanks cx.

That is what I was worried about. Since I am doing a random plank pattern the movement joint across the pattern seems almost impossible to do. It would zigzag all over. Or is there something else I’m missing to accomplish this? I’m using 3/16” spacers if that makes any difference.

I was hoping I could get away with one long movement joint instead since it would follow the grout line.

There is not much sunlight and no moisture issues typically.
Unread 01-16-2021, 09:40 AM   #32
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
There is not much sunlight and no moisture issues typically.
Operative word there is typically. And you are in a basement.

The efficacy of a sawtooth joint in a random layout of plank-style tiles is controversial, Dan. You can certainly do it if you want, and it certainly won't hurt, but it won't be as effective as would a straight joint.

We can't guarantee failure any more than we can guarantee success, we can only tell you what the tile industry standards recommend and where the smart money will be betting. Nobody likes to see movement accommodation joints in their new tile installation, but nobody likes to see tenting in their older tile installation, either. Those who have a failure wish they had installed the joints; those who don't have a failure are glad they didn't.

You pays your money and you takes your chances.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2021, 11:01 PM   #33
diydanny

Thanks a ton CX!
Unread 01-17-2021, 06:01 AM   #34
CaliGrown

I’d cut a joint into your pattern/layout to accommodate the saw cut, will be less hassle and as CX pointed out much more effective as an expansion joint opposed to sill zig zagging.
Here’s one where we used Schluter over an exterior patio, these had tooled joints so we went with a wide profile. Your saw cut (1/8” or 3/16” wide joint) will be much less noticed.
Almost as old as my youngest now (3yrs.) H.O. had me out last summer for a BBQ and Tile hasn’t decided to pop of yet...lol
Attached Images

CaliGrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2021, 07:43 PM   #35
diydanny

Thanks Chris.

I guess I’ll tile without movement joints and then decide to saw cut after in straight lines against my pattern. I honestly think I will lean towards not adding center movement joints at all at this point. I don’t like the way that looks across the pattern because of the obvious- ness of the disruption. You’re work looks very nice though.

Glazed Porcelain tile, basement location with minimal sun exposure, no moisture issues, with crack prevention membrane and good modified thin set. I’m debating but leaning towards rolling the dice.
Unread 01-18-2021, 08:15 PM   #36
cx
Moderator emeritus

Dan, have you ever done even a rudimentary moisture vapor emissions rate test (MVER) on that basement floor? Such as taping down 2x2-foot squares of six mil polyethylene sheeting for a few days?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2021, 08:29 PM   #37
diydanny

I don’t know for sure. I can’t remember. I believe I did before I laid the jif-set.

I have a painted laundry room floor right outside the back green door for about 8 years now and it has not come up at all and still in good shape. I did the plastic square test here I remember for sure. I added anti slip additive and happy with the adherence. This is in an area that some times gets above leaks from the faucet and clothes washers.

Also I did not paint a primer coat. Cleaned with tsp and rinsed well. Then laid the paint mixed with anti slip.

Last edited by diydanny; 01-18-2021 at 09:24 PM.
diydanny is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase