Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-06-2012, 03:22 PM   #1
tc128

polished tile finish or natural / honed finish for shower wall tile?

Oh hello again.

Been a while since I visited this forum. Since my last visit I retiled my basement bathroom with white subway tiles using CBU. Thanks to the great advice here. That project when really well and now I'm back for some more. This time my main bath.

I've looked at some tiles, notably the natural stone products over the porcelain ones. The natural stone products I like are unpolished and / honed so I am wondering, even with a sealer, how well would they hold up to 2 - 3 showers a day compared to a glazed porcelain tile? I went through several posts to see if I could find the answer, but after 7+ pages of looking I figured someone might reply with a link or have an answer.

I've got other questions, but I'll save them for another post.
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-06-2012, 04:07 PM   #2
CSS

They wont. Natural stone is not chosen for its cleanability. Its used for the look or the style. Porcelain is 30% harder than granite and granite is 100% harder than marble or travertine. Even with a sealer none will compare to a glazed or whole bodied porcelain for ease of cleaning. If its longevity and easy cleaning then use a porcelain with epoxy grout. The stone shower will work great but will require a little more work to keep clean.
Unread 03-06-2012, 04:43 PM   #3
tc128

yah, after lurking in on another post on another topic, this actually came up.

I will go with a larger 12 x 12 porcelain tile and glass 1 inch square tile combo with Spectraloc grout. Got some ideas on tile patterns but not confirmed yet. Will get some advice on here after I've picked out the actual colour and patterns of tiles.

I'm not much of a high maintenance kind of guy who wipes down the shower dry after each use and every use. I like to shower and go. So porcelain and glass seem to fit the bill.

thanks.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase