Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 11-23-2011, 10:17 AM   #1
rickreeves1

Kashmeire White Sealer

I just had a kashmeire white granite counter installed about 10 days ago. The installer did not seal it and any water left on it turns dark fairly quick. I just started to actually use the sink and counter a few days ago. I hope I don't have any permanent dark spots.. Now I'm a little nervous. I'm going to head home in a bit and check it out. What is the best recommended sealer to use on this? I was first considering picking something up from the local hardware store by tilelab or aquamix but also looking at the Stone Care Pro Kit I found online. Recommendations?

I also want to do a tile backsplash and I have a ceramic floor that needs some work. I'll be posting some more about those projects in the future. I'm looking forward to learning from all of the knowledgeable people here on the forum. Thanks!
Attached Images

Last edited by rickreeves1; 11-23-2011 at 10:42 AM.
rickreeves1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-23-2011, 10:29 AM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Rick.

Making multiple posts with the same questions usually results in confusion and duplication of effort on the part of our all-volunteer army of helpers. I've merged your thread and post here to keep it all together, eh?

Hang on and one of our stoners will help with your question.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2011, 10:36 AM   #3
CanyonTile

Welcome Rick,
The dark spots will dissapear when the water dries. Best sealer to use is either a impregnating sealer or if you want a color enhancer. I suggest solvent base products such as StoneTechs Enhancer Pro or Impregnator Pro.

Follow the directions to a "T" and always do a test first, if you have a cut out or scrap left over from the sink or what-not test it prior to commiting to a product.

When cleaning use a cleaner specificly for natural stone, not "cure-alls".

We Got You Covered

www.canyontileandstone.com
CanyonTile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2011, 11:15 AM   #4
CanyonTile

For the Record, so that something is not lost in translation- I am suggesting EITHER a Color Enhancer OR a Impregnating Sealer. Two different products, I do Suggest tho that you use a Solvent Based Product.

A Color enhancer with define the colors more vividly.
while
A Impregnating Sealer will mearly seal the surface.

Test first on scrap material prior to commiting to a product though

(Hows that? )

We Got You Covered

www.canyontileandstone.com
CanyonTile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2011, 12:12 PM   #5
java
Hugging Trees Oct. 1st

Look for one rated Food Safe.
Unread 11-23-2011, 03:06 PM   #6
rickreeves1

I like the light color of Kashmeire White. Will an enhancer darken it any? If so I may want to stay away from those and just use an impregnator type sealer. I like the glossy mirror like finish that granite has. Are there spray on daily cleaners/enhancers that increase this? Would a pint of sealer be enough to treat the 3x6 island and the counter in the pics?

There are so many sealers out there I have no idea which one to use. Are there any I should stay away from? Ask ten different people and you will get ten different answers. I wish someone had done a comparison tests on these? Are all of these food safe? Here are some of the sealers I've read about or been recommended to use...

StoneTech Impregnator Pro (solvent based)
Surface Treatment Technologies SB Deluxe Penetrating Sealer (solvent based)
Miracle Sealants 511 Porous Plus (solvent based)
Miracle Sealants 511 Impregnator (??)
Stone Care Pro: Impregnating Sealer (water based)
TileLab SurfaceGard Penetrating Sealer (water based)
Aquamix Sealers Choice Gold (water based)
SenGuard Permanent Marble & Granite Sealer (??)
Granite Shield (??)

I've read the StoneTech Impregnator Pro is for professional use only and Bulletproof or Heavy Duty Sealer is recommended. Due to the vapors I'm assuming? I'm not sure if that is something I want to deal with every six months. How long do the sealers typically last on Kashmeire white?

The more I read the more confused I become.
Unread 11-23-2011, 04:14 PM   #7
doitright
Retired Tile & Stone Contractor

Hi Rick, Welcome!

From what you're describing, you DO NOT wan to use a color enhancer.

Kashmir White is one of the most porous granites available. It will take many coats of impregnating sealer to get it sealed properly.

I also suggest going with a solvent based product as it will penetrate deeper into the stone.

Add to your list STT VRM, STT Super, and STT FE. The Super has a higher concentration of solids, thus requiring fewer coats. I've heard of fabricators applying up to 13 coats to get this stone sealed with locally available sealers. The STT products are pricey and special order, but worth the cost and the wait.

Feel free to PM me if you would like more info, as I am a manufacturers rep as well.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 09:42 AM   #8
rickreeves1

So it seems I'm looking for a solvent based product with no color enhancer. Where can I found out more about the STT VRM, STT Super, and STT FE products. Is this the correct website? sttsealers I don't see the STT Super or VRM. Are these fairly easy to apply? Are there instructions I can read somewhere? What is the cost and how much will I need? What is the best daily cleaner or polish to use?

How long will these sealers last before they need to be re-applied? Are they food safe for counters?

Thank you

Last edited by rickreeves1; 11-28-2011 at 09:49 AM.
rickreeves1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 09:48 AM   #9
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by doitright post 7
Feel free to PM me if you would like more info, as I am a manufacturers rep as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick post 8
Where can I found out more about the STT VRM, STT Super, and STT FE products.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 10:17 AM   #10
doitright
Retired Tile & Stone Contractor

Thanks CX!

The communication process has started.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase