Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-04-2008, 06:45 PM   #1
ehuesman

Advice needed concerning nylon pads and orbital sander...

Hi everyone! I've recently installed some travertine (honed and filled) on my bathroom and laundryroom floor. I need to remove some efflorescence and realize that I need to use abrasion rather than acid. I had tested some tiles using superfine steel wool. It seems to do the trick but leaves a lot of steel dust to rust later (something I learned in this forum). Rather than try finding a big magnet and devising some way to run it across all the tiles without scratching and still reliably pick up all the steel dust, I decided to try the white nylon scrubbing pad attached to an orbital sander method that I also read about in a few of the posts. Now here is where I get to the part about needing advice.

(1) I can't find the white nylon scrubbing pads. I've found the ones made by 3M that are attached to a sponge on one side, but I'm pretty sure I need to find the stand alone scrubbing pads. I've looked at HD and Lowes. Are these things a specialty item? Any idea where I can get them in California?

Thanks!
(2) Once I get my hands on those pads, how in the world do I attach them to the orbital sander? I've only used a 1/4 sheet sander before and I could see how the pads might be attached to them but I'm pretty sure I need the circular action of an orbital sander. The ones I looked at in the store seemed to need special-made sanding pads. Other than the Velcro type ones that just get stuck on, I'm not sure how they attach. Can someone enlighten me?
Unread 01-04-2008, 06:49 PM   #2
JTG

Eric
You probably need to go to a janitorial supply house where you will find them made for an industrial cleaning machine and cut to size.
Hope that you have an extra pice of tile to try this in. Even a white pad I can imagine it changing the surface of your tile. If I remember right they make a pad even finer than white.
Good Luck
JTG

Santa Seattle
Ballard

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/SantaJerryinBallard
JTG is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase