Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-20-2001, 07:38 PM   #1
tomtuttle
Official Brau Meister, JB Forums -- Tacoma, Wa.

Angry

I can't seem to get "Rock On" brand screws to sink completely flush with the surface of Hardibacker 500 1/2".

I even went and bought a more powerful drill, but that does not seem to have solved my problem.

Is there another brand of screw I could use? Is this a technique problem? Should I just punt and try using galvanized roofing nails?

TIA for any help.
tomtuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-21-2001, 08:14 AM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Tom,

I'm not your man. Haven't had any experience with it. Others will be along shortly.

I would nail it, though.

John
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2001, 09:03 AM   #3
Carpets Done Wright
Austin Floorguy

I nail with ring-shank galvanized nails. Will a hammer seat the screw after it is screwed as far as it will go?
Carpets Done Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2001, 04:35 PM   #4
SwaimM

I use a sheetrock screwgun. It automatically stops when the screw is at the proper height. I've had no problems getting the screw to barely bury itself. I'm using 1/2" Hardy.
SwaimM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2001, 06:03 PM   #5
John Bridge
Mudmeister

SwaimM,

Baytown, TX? Is we neighbors?
Unread 10-22-2001, 08:28 PM   #6
Tom

try using stainless or coated(preferably coated-they beak less)square drive decking screws. They go right in. I prefer to use a screwgun so as not to set these too deeply and cause the outer layer oh the hardibacker500 to rise.s
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2001, 09:32 PM   #7
Rob Z

Hi Tom T

I haven't used Hardibacker other than playing with wome samples at a JLC show a couple of years ago. I didn't have a problem running screws in to the sample pieces, but they were only 1/4" thick.

I have heard other guys saying the same thing as you about 1/2" hardi.

I use Utilicrete, and long ago gave up fighting with screws in that stuff. I bought a big load of hot dipped galvanized roofing nails, and nail it down.

Stop by and see us again.

Rob Z
Unread 10-23-2001, 02:13 PM   #8
Jason_Butler
Tile Setter

Tom,

I have had the same problem with the Rock-On screws in 1/2" hardibacker. There are a couple of things you can do to make the problem less severe.

1. Make sure you use the "high end" bits in your drill. I recently did about 200 sq ft of flooring with the 1/2 board and cheap bits. The bit wore out rather quickly and wouldn't grab the screw when it hit the subfloor. Also, the flutes on the cheap bits will break off after extended use

2. Use the slower speed on the drill and don't stop the drill until the screw has recessed. Once you stop, it is difficult to get then screw to sink anymore.

3. Consider the use of galvanized nails. For large areas the screws can be alot of work.

Give it a shot,

Jason
Jason_Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2001, 10:18 PM   #9
SGT

You could predrill them and use a counter sink but that would be a lot of work.

As Jason suggested use the slower speed on your drill. Another thing you might want to try is get the screw in until about a 1/4" sticks out then back it out to about a 1/2" and then get a good fit with the tip and drive it home. Seems like trying to do them in one fall swoop the tip starts to slip out by backing it out and resetting you can get a run at it.

Good luck,
Shawn
SGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2001, 12:43 AM   #10
tomtuttle
Official Brau Meister, JB Forums -- Tacoma, Wa.

Wink Thanks

Geez, thanks folks. After reading and digesting your helpful advice, I want to offer the following:

1. Part of my installation is the ceiling of a shower, so I was uncomfortable with just nailing. Floors are a different story.
2. I found that the Rock-On screws are simply not designed for Hardi.
3. I tried Deck Mate screws (had used them before for other stuff, but for some reason, thought I needed "specialized" screws for this job). HUGE difference. Slicker than snot. Basically eliminated my "under-drive" problem.
4. Using a drywall screwgun made the Deck-Mate/Hardi combination virtually trouble-free and quite fast.

REALLY appreciate the candid and thoughtful help. What a wonderful user community. You shan't get rid of me easily.
tomtuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2001, 05:37 AM   #11
Rob Z

You're welcome, Tom. come and see us when you are ready to set some tile.

The John Bridge Crew
Unread 10-29-2001, 04:32 PM   #12
Dave Ashton
Engineer/Tile Contractor

Hey Tom...and the rest of the motley crew. Ive been lurking about just never much to input since the rest of you are sooooo damn good. Tom, I've been using Hardi for awhile now and gave up screwing the stuff some time ago. But these Deck Mate screws I of course will have to try, just my nature. Is that the manufacturer, brand, ?? Let me know where I can get ahold of some. And as Rob Z will tell you I live in Iowa, aka retail hell.

Thanks,

Dave
Dave Ashton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2001, 06:58 PM   #13
John Bridge
Mudmeister

How's it goin', Dave? Been a while. Nothin' wrong with Iowa that a couple mountains wouldn't cure. Ever heard of Mt. Houston?
Unread 10-29-2001, 08:59 PM   #14
Kirk Downey

Hey John,

Did ya notice that tomtuttle said, "shan't" He must have been to college too.
Thanks, tomtuttle, this egg head was feelin' sorta lonesome.

Kirk
God is Love
Kirk Downey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2001, 09:58 PM   #15
Rob Z

Dave

Deck Mate brand screws are sold here in Va at HD. You can bring a cuppla hunert pounds back home when you and Kay come and visit.

Z

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase