Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > The Mud Box

Sponsors

Unread 10-29-2007, 09:29 PM   #16
ShannonT

From a runner

As a runner that has run a marathon and started and stopped training a dozen times, SLOW DOWN!

I understand why you want to run. Nothing else is as convienent. All you need is your shoes and away you go. Constant pain is not good though. New knees is not the goal.

First - get a good pair of shoes ment for your heavier frame. Us heavyweights need extra cushioning. Check out runners world web page for shoe recommendations.

Second - don't run more than every other day. Your body needs time to recover.

Third - know the difference between soarness from a good workout and pain. If you're in pain, see a doctor. Ideally, you will see a sports medcine doc or physical therapist who can diagnose muscle weaknesses or poor running gate that is causing the pain and can give you exercises to fix it. Don't let them feed you a never ending bottle of pills. The anti inflamitories can do a real number on your kidneys.

Fourth - go slow and slowly build your milage. When it hurts, back off a bit. You don't want to tear up your knees or anything else.

Good luck.
Unread 10-29-2007, 10:16 PM   #17
Bri
The Ditra Kid

Dan, $40 running shoes are called socks. Crack open one of those mayonnaise jars you have hidden in the closet and get some decent footwear. You might want to think about orthotics too. Better yet, ride a bike. or get one of those computer programs that you race against somebody.

“The world is a tangled up necklace of pearls"
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2007, 10:33 PM   #18
Shooter
Taking it easy!

I hate running but I do it because I have to. I am 5'9" @ 225lbs give or take so I am not quite the running type. I run 3 miles about 3-4 times / week and hate every minute of it.

One thing that others have said, is that shoes make all the difference in the world. If you are going to be serious about running, get a good stride analysis done and a proper shoe fitment. Your shoes can make or break you for all kinds of leg related issues. It will not cure them all, but will help prevent many of them. Personally I have wide feet and supanate so I generally use shoes that are in 4E sizes and build for heavier runners. I prefer the Brooks Beast shoes and some of the models of New Balance.

Yes, if you are feeling pain, rest. Not doing so, may result in serious injury.
Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2007, 11:08 PM   #19
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Dan,

Weren't you looking into bikes earlier? Whatever happened with that? Definitely not boring to be blazing around on two wheels.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2007, 04:33 AM   #20
ddmoit
Veteran DIYer -- Schluterville Graduate

So, it seems that people run because they're skinny, as opposed to - they're skinny because they run.

Bubba, I did get a bike, and I love to ride it. But, as Shannon points out, it's not as convenient as jogging. It seems I have to go further and ride longer to get the same benefit as running.

In deference to my knees, I will be using the Air-Dyne and walking in the short term.

Thanks to all (runners and non-runners alike) for the advice so far.
Unread 10-30-2007, 12:01 PM   #21
Scooter
Remodeler -- Southern Cal.

That pain can be anything.

Could be muscles, probably quads. If thats the case, you are OK. Can also feel like knee pain, and be the connection between the quads and the knee. You're still OK, but stretch.

Could be Miniscus. If you are over 40, and were reasonably athletic, chances are that your Miniscus is worn down. This is the cartledge between the knee joint. The pain is an internal pain, and hurts whether you put strain on it or not. If your Minisucus is damaged, you must immediately stop and figure out a new exercise, buddy.

Ligaments. Torn or stretched ligaments feel alot like muscle pain, specially quads, but the tear is usually within in the knee, so it is deeper inside the knee. If this is it, you must stop.

Please get this looked at. I've had two knee surgeries, one out of the service in 1972 and another last year, and am currently in rehab and work out 3-4x a week. So I know a little about what I am saying. You do not want to screw around with your Ligaments or Miniscus--you only have one. There is no repair to a Minisucus either, other than trimming (cutting it down). You can have ligament restoration, but it is really a bugger.

I would also have you feet looked at. You didn't answer my question whether your pronate or suppenate. This wasn't a trick question, and if you don't know, then that reinforces my strong opinnion that you have to have your gait looked at. Most people when the walk, and especially when they run, either pronate or suppenate. Pronate is the turning of the foot inward, Suppenation is turning outward.

There are especially designed shoes (New Balance 1223 for example) that control this movement and prevent it.

Your podiatrist also could recommend orthodics, which I wear, but its for planterfacisis. They may or may not help a bad knee, usually not. But I'm no Doctor thats for sure.

Dude, I'd get this looked into before it is too late.

Right now, I run stairs, 8 flights at a time in multiple sets. It really raises the heart rate, and is good cardio. Then do the machines, and when the heart rate goes down, run another set of 8 flights of stairs, then back to the machines. I usually do 3 reps on a machine, then run 8 flights, then back to a different machine. Heart Rate stays above 130-140 pretty well. And this sure ain't boring.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2007, 12:23 PM   #22
ddmoit

Thanks for the detailed knee advice, Scooter. I won't be running again until I have visited a local sports shoe store that I'm told is good about fitting shoes to my needs.
Unread 10-30-2007, 12:48 PM   #23
MnMatt

Shoes

Your shoes are probably the biggest factor in running comfort. I'd suggest taking your current pair to a running-specific store (not Foot Locker or something like that). The staff at those stores are runners themselves and so they can recommend the proper shoes for you. They'll look at the wear on your current shoes and will also probably have you run for them on a treadmill to see if you over/under pronate. Then they'll recommend the proper shoe - sounds like you could use a little more cushioning. The main thing to remember is that, when it comes to running shoes, more expensive is not necessarily better for you. It all depends on what type of shoe you need, and I've found that the running store staff never try to upsell you on the most expensive pair. If you run comfortably, you run more, you buy more shoes. The good stores know that.

As another poster mentioned, monitoring your regimen can also help make sure you're not overdoing it to start. Shoot for achievable weekly goals, say 10 miles to start. Then after a few weeks bump it up to 15, then 20, etc... A couple years ago I started running when I weighed 220 lbs, and with a little patience I was able to ramp up my regimen without injuring myself. I did take it slowly, but I was amazed at much keeping track of my daily miles helped. Simply writing down my distance and time every day helped me stay on track for my monthly goal and make sure I wasn't overdoing it at any point. Within a year I was up to 100 miles/month. Now have leveled off at 125. I'm not trying to brag here - I never run very fast at all, and there are plenty of runners who can do ALOT more than that. But it is a good level for me, given how fast I run and how much time I can devote to running. Good luck!
MnMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2007, 07:02 PM   #24
river-wear

Don't know if they have one over on the west side of the state, but the Running Fit stores were really good in Michigan. They can help with getting the right fit and check your gait.

"Happiness... it lies in the joy of achievement, in the thrill of creative effort." - FDR
river-wear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2007, 08:17 PM   #25
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmoit
Bubba, I did get a bike, and I love to ride it. But, as Shannon points out, it's not as convenient as jogging. It seems I have to go further and ride longer to get the same benefit as running.
Glad to hear it. I hear you on the convenience thing.

But would argue you can get a good workout in the same time it takes to run. A spinning class, as suggested, will get you moving on the bike like you haven't before. You can get your heart-rate right where it belongs and get a good workout w/o too much time. I love being able to crank up the intensity w/o the high impact that jogging gives you.

By the way, spend the money on biking shoes instead of running shoes.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2007, 04:33 PM   #26
ckl111
Home Builder

In addition to good running shoes, which are a must, I try to run on the grass as much as I can. It's a lot less pounding than running on the sidewalk.

People are pretty good with "poop and scoop" these days so it's a lot better than it used to be.
Unread 10-31-2007, 04:55 PM   #27
scott anthony
Tile Man -- Central Florida

I use to do marathons till about my 3rd year into tiling and that was that.
Run and lay flooring, what are you thinking? There is no best way for this, trust me don't do it. Swimmers have the best cardio fit body out there, I use to do triathlons also, dam tile work I miss them days hit the beach for a 1.3 mile swim get off and ped out a 56 mile bike race to end up with a 13 mile run. Dude if you finish that and there is kind of high like it. Makes me want to get it on again dam it.
If you can find a water polo club in your area you will have blast. This game is extremely physical with no body repercussions. These groups are hard to find.
No speedo necessary If you can't swim at all it not for you, Some times they beginner clubs.
Cycling alone sucks, anything alone sucks find a club with other like yourself.
Well sex alone aint all that bad. Dam it there I go again my big mouth.
Unread 10-31-2007, 05:19 PM   #28
Kirk Grodske

Don't ya know ya supposed to watch Adult movies while you ride your Schwinn Air-Dyne, if you are bored. That will put some sha-wing in your workout.
Unread 10-31-2007, 08:22 PM   #29
Mountain Tile
Pashley Tile

used to run years ago, too many problems now, feet are the biggest. I go the gym 3-4 times a week, I"ll do some treadmill fast walking in front of the tv, jump over to the eliptical, switch to the stationary bike, mix it up to keep from getting boring, and they have tv"s in front of them

wwwpashleytile.com
Mountain Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2008, 07:50 AM   #30
ddmoit

OK, I'm back at it. I'm up to 2 miles again. This time, I'm wearing shoes (Asics) from a shop that caters to runners. All my jogging is confined to the track at the local middle school. And, I never run on consecutive days. So far, so good - no knee pain. I actually tacked on an extra lap today - and resisted the urge to make it two.

I'm down a few pounds because I've been walking, biking, and using the Airdyne to build up to this. I still do all those things (I bike to the track). On the days I don't run, I bike about 15 miles (probably a walk in the park to Bubba).

I actually wore out the speedometer/odometer on the Airdyne. It's in the shop right now.

I've overcome the boredom of the Airdyne with an iPod, per Scooter's advice. It's loaded with up-tempo, angry music like Rage Against the Machine and Prodigy. I've been a week without it now, and I actually miss the dang thing.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase