Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 10-16-2007, 05:19 PM   #1
Vantage

Vinyl backing

I know there have been a ton of theads on this already, but I just need some more clarification.

I don't do very much vinyl tear out over concrete, the few I have done have been a pain but do-able...

This one however is a mega pain, about 25 years old or so, maybe asb? The wear layer came off very difficult, there is a good layer of the grey backing left on the floor which will not come off, even with a scraper and watered down for a half hour. I have read in some past posts about using chemical removal agents to assist in the removal, but I know that Custom states not to use these....definately a no-go?

I know that full removal is the key, but this stuff is stuck! About 150 feet would take me all week at the rate it is coming off so far.

I hate it.
Unread 10-16-2007, 05:31 PM   #2
bctile601
Tile Contractor

I always hated it too, and thankfully haven't had any in a long time. I used to soak the ' paper ' with hot tap water for as long as it took to start coming off. I would literally flood the floor, and mop up once the paper began scraping off. 150sf = 1/2day - 3/4day tops.

No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care

bctile.com
bctile601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2007, 05:55 PM   #3
Aaron R

Sounds like they used something other than a water-base adhesive. Heat (or hot water) may just do the trick. Definately try to stay away from the chems
Aaron R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2007, 06:24 PM   #4
Bri
The Ditra Kid

We've been having good luck with the electric floor strippers. The difference is, we take off the blade in the front and replace it with the large Olfa blade. The sharp razor blade tears though that stuff in 7 inch strips right down to the concrete. If you have the machine, it can't hurt to try it on your job.

“The world is a tangled up necklace of pearls"
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2007, 08:14 PM   #5
Bri
The Ditra Kid

Well, that' the big fella...I was thinking more of this one.

Then put the razor scraper blades on it.

“The world is a tangled up necklace of pearls"
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2007, 08:03 PM   #6
Tom Tee

Almost any professionally glued down 150 s.f. vinyl floor can come up w/ a 3" or 4" hand scraper b/4 lunch.

Big problem is when DIY or carpenters play floor installer and use contact cement. Now that's nasty. We got a lot of Homer yahoo's around here and anything goes.

The vinyl skin is usually the easy part. just slit it across the room's length every 3" - 5" and tug-o-war it up.

In any event I just rent a $35.oo Roberts scraper and use a 4" tile scraper blade. Comes up clean. Where I find difficulty is w/ the butterscotch colored urathane carpet backing and the real tacky adhesive that never seems to dry. The scraper keeps wanting to jump up on top of the glue residue.

Most floors in this area are wood so we usually just rip out the plywood.

BTW, a good heat gun can usually remove anything but a tatoo. But I would try a heat gun on my mother in law.

IMO, I would figure 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours for it to be broom clean w/ any of the suggestions above.

At this stage of the game, if I smell a real stinker I usually walk. There is enough work out there that junk floors ain't worth it. I have found that when you have to make pigs fly there usually is not enough money to be had.

tt
Tom Tee is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase