Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 10-26-2022, 06:06 AM   #1
CaliGrown

Mud Madness

Howdy Y’all Mud Slingers,

Best wood to rip-down for float sticks??

I’ve cut some 3/16” minus sticks out of a nice piece of dimensional redwood, working well and started straighter than the sticks I can get from the supply houses.

If memory serves right, some use IPA IPE??

Mud Folk and Wood Folk, looking for best ways and wood cuts to rip down for screed sticks!? Also anybody put a sealer or diesel on ‘em to make it better??

Here’s a pic of mine (bigger and bent toward the left) vs the supply houses (knotty).

Thanks!!
Attached Images

CaliGrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-26-2022, 07:43 AM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Well, during the course of my years as a mud man I've used just about everything, but it turns out the best I ever had were redwood.

Diesel? I don't think so. I wet them before setting them.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2022, 09:16 AM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

Only Ipe strips I ever made were made specifically for the Great TYW Mud Course of 2010, Christopher. And very fine strips they were, if I do say so myownself. But I never got to try any of'em, and I don't even recall if they were used in said mud course.

In the end, I gave those to Davy, as I recall. And I know I've axed him how they worked, but I don't recall the answer if ever I got one. Perhaps he'll comment here. Seems to me they should last at least forever, but I don't know how any of their other characteristics might have weighed in. They are, however, a rather large PITA to make.

I've always favored Redwood for making such strips, too. But back in the day a fella could actually buy good, nearly clear, 2x heart redwood material, and without taking out a bank loan. I don't know if there's any such on the market these days.

One thing that makes them easier to remove is to break the edges on one side with a 1/8th" roundover router bit. A bit of a PITA that, too, but worthwhile, I think. And when making a bunch of new strips, it's just one extra set-up and run. Already a PITA to hafta make strips, so it doesn't really cost that much extra.

As for soaking in diesel, I've never tried that, either. But I've always used a mixture of diesel fuel and motor oil (used or not) to spray at least my larger (2x8 and 4x8-foot) panels used as concrete forms to get them to release more easily and without damage, but never tried it on any float strips. Don't see that it would hurt anything, and it might be helpful.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2022, 09:29 AM   #4
Tile & Stone Guild
King Of Tile

I just buy lattice strips from HD, soak in the mud box.
Unread 10-26-2022, 05:28 PM   #5
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

The Ipe sticks CX cut for me work great. I still have a bunch of them on my rack in my garage. Redwood has always been my go to type wood for screed sticks. When mudding a wall, keep the side facing you wet. If you let it dry out, it might pull out of the mud.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2022, 07:57 PM   #6
Just In Tile LLC

I ripped mine outta cedar, I liked the smell and they performed well for me. I chose heartwood and ripped them 3/16". I just liked them better at that thickness.

https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin...t=float+sticks
Here's a thread discussing the particulars Chris
Unread 10-27-2022, 03:40 AM   #7
CaliGrown

Lightbulb Thank Y’all Kindly!!

Right on!! Muddawgs Unite
Really great to see the OG MUD Meisters are still at it

John, same boat sometimes… lol a mud screed rail with no stick is slick

Right on Jeff, done that in a pinch and they work fine and dandy. Also was before I acquired carpentry skills beyond the tolerance capability of a worm drive skillsaw.

CX. Looks like your Famous IPE sticks are in the best hands out there and in useful condition at that!! Sticks last me ages so long as I stop cutting them down or using ‘em for extracurricular activities (shims, drywall patches, furring strips, attitude adjusters via a whooping, poker stick…) Dont have to temp me with a good justification to acquire a long awaited fun toy (Makita or Bosch!???) Routering tool thanks CX for the run down to make some primo sticks, I happen to know a saw mill man out in the Sierra Nevada who cuts trees as a day job, even some old-growth redwoods, he’ll be due a call for a clear heart piece perhaps.. thinking that form oil mix will enable this puppies to be handed off the my kids’ kids . Appreciate it as always, them concrete forms make great Mud Stand Tables if any of y’all are curious…don’t let them sub’s boss man see ya helping yourself to a cut off though. Xpensive stuff even three years back

Davy,
Very very sweet!! Good to know sticks can go the long run with some care and fínese. I hadn’t slung a shower for a bit and tried scratch and brown whole sucker was set in for rub down in less than 30. Sticks set as soon as I beat them in and plumbed them off. Going to stick with One-Coats till I get the magic touch back, got use to missing without line for pools with a kewl fellow.. Thanks Davy!

Justin!!
Coming in clutch with the thread I was looking for, I know I’m crazy but thought I was crazy crazy for a bit since I recalled there being the perfect sticks formula and breakdown. Hard to think that good postin’ was almost 4 years back, I’m getting to feel older than I look supposedly they say will have to give Cedar a shot, never crossed my mind to step away from Redwood outside of hearing bout those TYW IPE pieces.

The two sticks I cut were from a decent 10’ 2 by 4, the concrete man needed a straight screed so I ran end off the table saw to square it off for ‘em. Price point wise it was $12 with taxes, redwood prices have gone done but cedar is high now, Doug fir lumber has dropped from the peak but nowhere close to prices from before the fiasco came about over here in my bubble of the world..
Unread 10-27-2022, 07:38 AM   #8
Just In Tile LLC

Always good to dive into the float stick twilight zone, mostly because I could talk about anything mud related till the cows come home. I will say I only used cedar because I'm in east Texas. Redwood is special order type stuff here, and Cedar is plentiful. If I was in Cali I'd use redwood because thats what's local.

BUT I am partial to cedar now because it's aromatic and who doesn't need a little zen when it's mud day.
Unread 10-30-2022, 07:40 AM   #9
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Redwood lumber is almost non-existent. Still plenty of Redwoods growing, but we don't cut them into boards anymore, not much of it anyway.

Western Red Cedar is not as plentiful as it once was. It is probably the only true cedar. The trees are not guite as large as redwoods, but they are huge trees. In Texas what folks call cedars are actually junipers, but nobody seems to know it.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2022, 08:56 PM   #10
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

John and CX came out to see me when I worked in Vaquero, a gated community north of Ft Worth. The builder there ordered out 1x12 mahogany for the trim carpenter. Who ever pulled the order at the trim company didn't know what they were doing and sent out clear 1x12 redwood instead. Lengths were 6 and 8 ft long with a couple 10 footers. The stack was about knee high. Those boards sit there in that garage for a couple months. I had my eye on them the whole time. I asked the superintendent if I could take a couple. He said sure, so I took 3 or 4. I kept taking 1 here and there until I had them all. I took some of them down the street where the carpenters were working and ripped them down to 3/16 x 1 1/2. I still have some of those sticks, that's been over 10 years ago.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 10-30-2022, 09:04 PM   #11
cx
Moderator emeritus

I remember that pile, Davy! How I did lust after those boards, and certainly not to cut into float strips.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2022, 06:27 AM   #12
CaliGrown

Thanks everyone (y’all Texans)…

Going to have to give some red cedar a shot and maybe some mahogany or other millwork grade stuff if I can loot, rob persuade the cabinet man sometime
I’m in cahoots with a saw mill man out in Angels Camp,
Got a really good urge and thinkin’ to take a trunk of walnut to him once it’s felled and see how big of a rip he can get outta it. There’s an old walnut orchard being ripped down the road from my folk’s place.

Davy, that wood pile is a dream come true. I got a sweet picture of it in my head, imagine it’s much more impressive in your shop and nice to have some as sticks Ya still active in doing those cool wood carvings and such??
Unread 11-16-2022, 05:20 PM   #13
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I'm still interested in carving but haven't had the time to carve anything in a while.

I need to make a down draft box to catch the dust, that way I can use my Dremel. I'm looking forward to trying that.

www.davystephenstile.com

Last edited by Davy; 11-16-2022 at 05:27 PM.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase