Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 12-08-2018, 11:04 AM   #1
rcans2
Rick

Caulking joint between backsplash and countertop Questions

I am going to use silicone for caulking joint between backsplash/countertop joint (varies from about 1/8" to 3/16"). My plan is to use tape method on backsplash and countertop to get straighter caulking edges.
(1) My first question is on placement of tape on countertop and how far away from wall should I place the tape on the countertop or should I put tape edge lined vertically with the front of the backsplash? I was thinking I would have to put the tape about 1/8" away from vertical plane of the front of the backsplash but I am afraid this will result in caulk joint that looks to massive.

(2) Also, I was planning on using some 3/8 closed cell backer rod in places under the backsplash and cutting the backer rod to a smaller size. Is cutting closed cell backer rod a serious concern with outgases affecting the silicone joint? I have read where many people do this frequently without an issue. I can't find any 1/4" backer rod.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:12 AM   #2
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

We are such geeks we have a whole thread on this

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:17 AM   #3
Gozo

I found doing my silicone shaping that the tape method didn’t give the result I wanted. Either if I left the tape too long, it left a hard ridge, or if I pulled it too soon, it left a gooey irregular border. I use a bead the same size as the gap and get it well filled. Then I spray with some soapy water alcohol solution and tool it with a tool similar to this: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-4...store_code=599. I actually use the tool from Color-Rite, but the idea is the same. Practice a bit to get the hang of it. Also, keep a pile of wads of balled up toilet tissue at the ready to quickly wipe off the tooling tool from the shaped off silicone.
On the backer rod, I’ve never had any problems with the foam causing issues with the silicone. Just cut the rod to the size with a single edge razor blade and don’t pack it in there, so it won’t try to re-expand; just use it as a space filler.
And what Paul said...
Old 12-08-2018, 04:27 PM   #4
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
If I were to do my backsplash again I'd probably not use silicone.

It isn't a high moisture area, not prone to having to fend off large and continuous amounts of water. A bit of splashing from the sink faucet, and an occasional other drip from something here and there, all easily seen, reachable, and paper towel-able.

IMO, natch.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 07:12 PM   #5
Kman

I used acrylic latex caulk on my backsplash. The only place that has shown wear is directly behind the kitchen faucet, just a few inches in length.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase