Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-26-2019, 10:14 AM   #1
carolcat8

Mapei Premium Mortar (Premixed)

Hi,
I have a small project on my shower wall. As I was removing grout to regrout, three tiles fell off wall (tiles are 6" x 6" ceramic or porcelain...not too sure). These tiles are at the base of the shower and in direct contact with water from shower head. House is seventeen years old and previous adhesive probably wore down. Since it was such a small job, I went ahead and applied Mapei Premium Morter (Premixed) to tiles. It has been three days and and there is no movement of tiles...appears dry and stiff. Everything looks good; however, after reviewing this forum and other reviews, I am not too sure if I made the right decision since many on the forum have stated that a Premixed Mortar product will fail in shower or any area with moisture. According to Mapei's website, their Premium Mortar (Premixed) is fine for intermittent wet conditions like shower walls. I really do not want any future issues of mold to occur.
Questions:
1. What should I do? Should I remove tiles and get a powdered mortar?
2. If you feel that I should remove tiles, then what do you recommend for removal? Right now they are pretty stiff.
3. If I keep as it is, will there be any mold issues in the future.
Attached Pdf has product picture and information from Mapei website.
Thank you so much!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Premium_Mortar_EN_lr.pdf (533.1 KB, 52 views)
Unread 02-26-2019, 10:21 AM   #2
speed51133

i would not use that bucket in a shower. buying the powder and mixing in a bucket for two or 3 tiles takes minutes. it is very simple.

could you post a picture of the spots in question? also post pictures of the back of the tiles that fell. if tiles are falling off when removing grout, there was a problem. this should not happen. have you tapped on other tiles? does it sound solid or hollow?

are there rows of lines on the wall, kind of like corn rows or are there blobs here and there of dried mortar? is it like a solid sheet of dried mortar? was any mortar stuck to the back of the tiles?

now that you already did it and it is on the wall, i am not sure if it is worth ripping off.....i would wait to see what others say.
Unread 02-26-2019, 10:39 AM   #3
carolcat8

Hi,
Thanks for quick response. Yes, tiles were 3 in a row. Attached is picture of 2 tiles...third tile fell off later. It looks like some mortar is on back of tiles. I did bleach and clean off old mortar before reapplying with Mapei Premium Mortar. Please advise if I should remove and or leave as is.
Thank you.
Attached Images

Unread 02-26-2019, 01:02 PM   #4
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Lisa, anything premixed in a bucket is never a good idea in a shower. It tends to re-emulsify is the presence of water...irrespective of what the maker states, and Mapai is a good company, but you "pays your money and you takes your chances..."

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2019, 02:01 PM   #5
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi Lisa. Looks like some of the other tiles might be ready to fall off as well. I would slightly tug on neighboring tiles to make sure they are secure. Mold might or might not be a problem depending on what the tiles are bonded to and bonded with and how the shower was originally constructed.

For grout, I would use a cement based grout like was most likely used originally. Home Depot has small boxes of grout that are non sanded bright white. That's what I would use. To bond the tiles I would use modified thinset that comes in powder form and is mixed with water, not premixed.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2019, 10:26 PM   #6
carolcat8

Hi,

Thanks everyone for your input!

I have a few questions:

1. Should I take tiles off and get some powdered mortar and reattach?

2. If yes, then how do I do it? Tiles are very stiff and attached well.

3. Or should I wait until tiles fall off again since premixed mortar will eventually fail due to moisture?

Please advise.

Thanks again!
Unread 02-26-2019, 10:36 PM   #7
Kman

If you can't remove them without breaking the tile, I'd just leave it for now and keep an eye on it. The best thing you can do is allow the adhesive time to dry as much as possible.

However, if you can get a small screwdriver and pull on one of the tile without damaging it or the adjacent tile and it comes loose, I'd redo those three with the proper mortar.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2019, 09:51 AM   #8
MAPEI - Technical Service
Company Representative

Please give us a call. This forum has its opinions about pre-mixed mortars but most of them have never used MAPEI's. I honestly don't think you'll have an issue with what you've already done, but give us a call just to make sure.

http://www.mapei.com/US-EN/
MAPEI Product Tech Support Hotline 1-800-992-6273
MAPEI - Technical Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2019, 05:16 PM   #9
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I'm just wondering, what's the difference in Mapei's premixed thinset and the other brands?

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 02-27-2019, 06:12 PM   #10
speed51133

good question
Unread 02-28-2019, 08:16 AM   #11
carolcat8

Thanks everyone!
Unread 02-28-2019, 08:35 AM   #12
carolcat8

Premixed or Powdered Grout

Hi,

I used Mapei Premium Mortar (Premixed) to reattach three tiles that fell off during regrouting. I would like to ask your advise for the grout.

I have heard many mixed reviews on premixed grouts such as disintegrating in shower and has a plastic appearance.

Tiles are at base of shower stall and are in direct contact with water from shower head.

I would like something that will hold up to constant water and to prevent premixed mortar that I used on tiles from getting any moisture...I know premixed mortar is not recommended in a shower...I probably messed up with that.

Would you recommend powdered grout or premixed grout?

Thank you!
Unread 02-28-2019, 09:14 AM   #13
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Lisa.

It'll help if you'll keep all your project questions on one thread so folks can see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered. A moderator can give it a more generic title any time you'd like to suggest one.

No grout you use will keep the organic adhesive you used from seeing moisture. But the Type I adhesives are industry accepted for use in shower walls, although generally not recommended here on these forums for that application. If your tiles were properly set on an acceptable substrate using that material, chances are they will remain in place for the long term.

For grout, the newer premixed acrylic grouts should also serve in your application, although some problems have been reported here, 'specially on shower floor applications.

Entirely up to you what grout you want to use, but for wet area applications it's still tough to beat good ol' cementitious grouts in my opinion. I have tested the premixed acrylic grout in one shower application, floor included, and it seems to be doing OK after about five years. Long term? I dunno. But I have cementitious grout in showers that are 30 years old and are doing just fine.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2019, 09:32 AM   #14
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Lisa, I'm pretty sure the original grout in your shower is nonsanded. Maybe someone makes a nonsanded premixed grout but I haven't seen one. All I've seen are sanded which will have a rougher texture than what you now have. If your old grout looks smooth (nonsanded), then the grout I mentioned in post 5 will match it. It doesn't have to be made from Custom. Mapei, Laticrete and others also have nonsanded white grouts.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 02-28-2019, 09:33 AM   #15
carolcat8

Hi,

Sorry about posting in a new thread.

Thanks for the information!

I decided to use the powdered grout that I had on hand. When I mixed grout, I looked for a peanut butter consistency and then grouted...I hope I did it right.

Question:

Is there a way to check the powdered grout after it has cured for 24 hours that I mixed it correctly?

Thank you!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase