Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-23-2018, 06:11 PM   #136
Gozo

Opinion poll

Finally got the cabinets completed and installed. (Had 5 months of going back and forth with the custom cabinet builder and lawyers because he made nice kitchen cabinets to the size I wanted for the vanities. Drawers in weird places, no space for a sink or plumbing, other fun stuff. Lots of sleep lost. Finally wound up doing it myself. I learned a lot about building cabinets, drawers, and using HVLP sprayers. Enough said, I’m getting upset again...)
Anyway, back to the request. I asked Mrs. Jeff to stop by the granite shop and schedule them to come and template for the tops. My mistake. She decided to go with a different color than I had designed around for the past 2 years.
I won’t say who’s choice is who’s and let the pros (and amateurs) chime in. We have until Saturday morning.
The 2 pictures are of the tiles atop the counter extension. The cabinets are a semi-glossy light grey. One color selected (showing in tiles that the choices kind of mimic) matches the light cabinet and shower walls and 2 of the room walls are super light grey (almost white), so light on light. The other matches the floor, shower curbs and seat, and 2 of the walls are a warm brownish grey).
So vote for either matching or contrasting for the tops.
Thanks guys.
And since I’m using the phone, they came out rotated...
Attached Images

Unread 07-24-2018, 06:25 AM   #137
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Of those two, Jeff, the lighter one IMO.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2018, 10:53 AM   #138
Gozo

Thanks Dan.
Come on guys...so far it’s a unanimous decision of one. Jump on in and mix it up a bit.
Unread 07-25-2018, 11:03 AM   #139
Kman

X2

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2018, 12:57 PM   #140
john619

I prefer the darker one so the horizontal surfaces are similar, floor and countertop
Unread 07-25-2018, 01:20 PM   #141
wwhitney

x2 on the darker.

Cheers, Wayne
Unread 07-28-2018, 10:53 AM   #142
Gozo

Well since it was 2 vs. 2, I wasn’t able to use you guys as a tie breaker. We went with something totally different with a bit of light and dark. She did begrudgingly admit that the second choice was what I had picked out. Took a screen shot of the color swatch from the website.
Now I just have to get the last few baseboard tiles aside the cabinets in and grouted and the tile work is done! I’m looking forward to posting before and after and call it DONE!
Attached Images

Unread 09-23-2018, 08:03 AM   #143
Gozo

it...is...DONE Here's what it was...

The counter tops got installed yesterday. I can finally call this one DONE! Here’s some (crappy – I think I left the camera set to close-up) pictures of the before master bathroom. Originally there was a single door from the bedroom into the short hallway with the window at the end. Turn right and you went into another little hallway with his and hers reach-in closets. (The project before the bathroom was to close up the hallway to the right, make one big walk-in closet with a door into the bedroom. Why it wasn’t designed this way from the original build – who knows ). Turn left and go into the master bathroom. You’ve seen pictures of during the demo phase earlier in the thread, and can see why I kept finding other things to do and putting this off for more than 10 years.
Attached Images

Last edited by cx; 09-23-2018 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Typo -owner's request
Gozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2018, 08:05 AM   #144
Gozo

it...is...DONE Here's what it is now...

Here’s some views from similar angles as the before pictures (as the new layout will allow). The hallway became part of the bathroom, the closet to the left of the shower got gobbled up for part of the shower, a pocket door closet went where the toilet was, the access doorway to/from the bedroom moved over to make room for the her vanity. A taller vanity installed separate from hers (let me say – it is a delight for the back, to be able to brush my teeth standing up. I had to play hunchback with the old standard 30” height). I tried to capture as much of the tiling as possible in the pictures without losing the overall view of the room.
The cabinet maker debacle set the whole thing back about 6 months. The countertops had to be ordered as the material is not a standard stock item, but that only added about 4 weeks. One year, 10 months from first sledgehammer hit to “Ahhhh…it’s done! Yeah, I know; I’m still slow.
I want to thank again all that contributed suggestions here and John for hosting the forum (and authoring the e-books), and all those before me that shared their trials and tribulations on their projects.
If I have any issues with the kitchen backsplash (next project is a kitchen “make-over”; just cosmetic stuff, no rebuilding); I’ll be back.
Attached Images

Unread 09-23-2018, 09:38 AM   #145
cx
Moderator emeritus

Nice change, Jeff.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2018, 09:46 AM   #146
makethatkerdistick

Looks professional, Jeff. I really like the small accent tile running the perimeter of the shower floor. And I like that practicality and usability trump uniformity and regularity in your setup (that is, the different sink heights). After all, what good is it if it doesn't suit the purpose.

Question for you: Tell me about the ladder pull on your door. Is this a ladder on the outside and a knob on the inside? I am wondering if I should upgrade my 6 in C pull that came with my hinges to a taller ladder pull. If so, I want 304 stainless steel. Is yours 304 alloy grade? Where did you get it? Or did it just come with the door? CR Laurence has these pulls made from 304, but they're vastly expensive, running almost $300.
I haven't ordered the glass door yet and am thus flexible in deciding on the hole spacing.

Still haven't installed countertops in my other bathroom. Compared to the overall cost of the remodel, they're relatively expensive for what you get. But I'l have to save up and finally do it anyway.
Unread 09-23-2018, 06:23 PM   #147
Gozo

Thanks for the compliment Wolfgang.
The handle is 316SS and has just a knob on the back/inside face of the glass. It was the one supplied with the glass. Not sure if you could get it separate from Vigo or not.
The bottom border was practical as well as decorative. I used the Schluter foam tray and cut it down to fit the design and around the neoangle bench. Thus the edge is not level all around. The mosaic pieces were cut with a slight taper from one to the next so the bottom spacing to the floor was even, and the top edge was level. This level line was then what the large wall tiles were built on, and so on up the wall. Used a laser level to keep in line up the wall.
Not as dramatic as your latest shower adventure, but I am 99.9% pleased how it turned out (no matter how perfect it may look, tile nerds like us can always find something), and 100% glad it’s done.
(This forum has ruined my ability to enjoy home improvement shows. I used to watch and think “that came out nice”; and now I watch and when it comes to tiling it’s something along the lines of “a bit more lippage then I’d want”, or “you call that straight?!”. Don’t get me started on waterproofing...)

Last edited by Gozo; 09-23-2018 at 06:53 PM.
Gozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2018, 08:31 AM   #148
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Call me a fan, too, Jeff.

I also like the contrasts between shower floor tile, the small boarder, the wall tiles, and the bench top/niche shelf/knee wall caps. The floor/wall boarder just had to be tedious.

Am also digging the giant beefy door pull and the non-standard - and thus very pleasing, grab bar. Well hunted and executed.

Also looking forward to taller vanities!
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2019, 06:22 PM   #149
Gozo

100% silicone in the change of plane seams?

I know the recommendation is silicone in the plane changes. Well I didn’t follow this 100%. I grouted the shower walls to the floor pan (rationalizing that whatever water got behind the wall tile would have a place to escape) and siliconed (Colorite satin 100% silicone) the rest of the plane changes.

The shower’s been in pretty much daily use for a bit over a year now. While cleaning it out, I noticed the edges of some of the areas of the silicone were lifting from the tile where there would be greater water volume on it. Just a bit of a gap, so like all OCD folks, I picked at it. It was wet under it (worst on the bench top/wall seam). I carefully cut and dug out the silicone (just the start of some darkening [mold?] on the back silicone surface), cleaned, rinsed, and throughly dried the resultant gap, and a few hours later re-siliconed and tooled the seams.

I was expecting to have to re-silicone every so often, but had a timeframe of maybe 5 years or so in mind, not 14 months. Anyone had better experiences with the Latisil brand over Colorite? Any care tips I may have missed?

BTW, the grout at the bottom perimeter seam doesn’t show even a bit of hairline cracking. Is it at all possible on the next dig out to grout these seams (I don’t think it’s possible to get absolutely all of it 100% out)?

Just throwing it out there. Thanks
Unread 01-27-2019, 10:23 PM   #150
makethatkerdistick

Did your silicone have any "Microban" in it? It is supposedly minimizing mold growth. The adhesion issue is worrisome. How deep are your gaps? Was there not enough space for the silicone to grab into?

My expensive Latasil is turning 10 months in my one shower and even younger in the other one. Too early to give meaningful feedback. I was hoping to get 10 years out of it. We'll see. So far, though, not a trace of anything moldy growing on it. I guess yours wasn't visibly moldy either before you pulled it out?

When you applied the silicone, did you completely fill the gap or leave possible some space behind the bead?

I worry about Kerdi showers and silicone replacement down the road, especially for people who aren't as handy as you and who hire out such work. It just takes a clueless handyman to poke holes into the fabric if he doesn't know about the Kerdi behind the tile.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase