Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-06-2022, 09:03 PM   #1
Doc61199

Help

Has anyone seen corners done like this? They are staggered I guess? Usually there is a solid vertical corner grout or caulk line but I don’t think that is possible in this configuration . This installer is using a technique I haven’t seen before, is it wrong!? I think aesthetically when it’s finished it might look good but I can’t find ANY images to support this.
Attached Images

Unread 08-06-2022, 10:04 PM   #2
Just In Tile LLC

Good evening, I’ve also never heard of the staggered technique and I can see why…. It looks like crap. and I’m being gentle

On second thought I’ve employed something similar on a stacked ledge stone install, I sort of wove the corners together… but that was a 3d stone that was irregular shaped so the weaving of them made sense, on a flat tile this makes no sense and will not look good in the end. Just my humble opinion
Unread 08-06-2022, 10:27 PM   #3
Doc61199

Aye now I’m worried. I was hoping the horizontal lines would look good, do you think that is impossible? The contractor did this while I was away for the week and I came home to this. I’m not sure what to do? Speak up now while it’s not ridiculously far along or see what the final product is.
Unread 08-06-2022, 11:18 PM   #4
Kman

My concern is that the joint there, no matter what is used to cover it, is going to be doing a back-and-forth thing, just like the tile is. It's going to look very.... unprofessional.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2022, 07:31 AM   #5
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

If a 45° angle smoothing tool is used on the sealant during application/tooling, it would result in a straight line. But few installers use them and will tool the joint with their finger and is very likely end up resulting in the back-and-forth thing. Even more concerning to me is that the corner joint looks larger/wider than all the grout joints, making it even harder to caulk without drawing extra attention to itself.

Additionally, the folks at Custom have taught me that if you can read the brand name of the substrate easily through the coating of RedGard that the RedGard hasn’t been applied at a thick enough layer.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2022, 07:58 AM   #6
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I noticed the same thing as Bubba. The Redgard is supposed to be about credit card thickness. It takes a couple pretty thick coats to achieve that.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2022, 08:07 AM   #7
Doc61199

Thanks gents. As for the redguard its 3 coats all around And in the shelf and bench 4 coats. Hope it’s enough.
Unread 08-07-2022, 02:45 PM   #8
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I don't doubt what you're saying but to get the right thickness, you have to lay it on thick. Like Cx has said, it's not like painting your bedroom walls. At this point, we can hope it's enough.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2022, 05:06 PM   #9
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

With any painted-on waterproofing, you really need a wet film thickness gauge, use it, and if not thick enough, change your technique. It's not the number of coats, it's the number of coats, it's the end thickness.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase