Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-31-2012, 09:43 AM   #1
zeaflal

Kerdi-Line or ProLine by QuickDrain

Both the Kerdi-Line and QuickDrain ProLine linear drains look attractive. I am pre-planning a shower rebuild using Kerdi, so the pre-bonded membranes make either of these attractive. I see some comments about both, but I cannot really find any comparisons of why one might prefer one or the other. Any good recommendations?

Just to make it more interesting, what about the QuickSlope product specified for QuickDrain? I don’t think it has ever been discussed on this forum. It’s a tapered plastic honeycomb. They recommend setting it on plywood and waterproofing with Noble membrane in one operation using rapid-set modified thinset. The big advantage of QuickSlope is that it tapers to nothing, whereas the Kerdi-Line drain requires a minimum of a one inch of mortar bed, QuickSlope would thereby allow the curb to end up one inch lower with respect to the bath floor which I find very desirable

This also brings up the issue of mixed systems. Besides using the ProLine Drain (Noble membrane) with Kerdi, what about using QuickSlope with Kerdi? And what about using a Kerdi-Line drain with QuickSlope which would then change how the Kerdi-Line is installed in the floor?
Unread 08-31-2012, 11:37 AM   #2
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Retired Moderator

Hi Larry.

Do an advanced search in the Pro's Hangout. All those have been discussed at some length over there.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2012, 12:10 PM   #3
zeaflal

Actually, I have done the search. Many people like both Kerdi-Line or QuickDrain ProLine linear drains. But no one seems to have stated the advantages (if any) of one over the other.

I don’t think that QuickSlope was ever discussed. (I could not find any posts about it with search.) There have been a number of discussions about QuickPitch, but that is an unrelated product from the same company.
Unread 08-31-2012, 12:36 PM   #4
dhagin

plug this into google

site:johnbridge.com "quickslope"

or this

site:johnbridge.com "quick slope"

edit; you can change the part within the quotes to kerdi-line, kerdi line, kerdiline, etc... as well.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "

Last edited by dhagin; 08-31-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Unread 08-31-2012, 01:44 PM   #5
zeaflal

There are 6 hits for QuickSlope. Looks like all mention the product but don’t give any additional info. There are 7 hits for Quick Slope (2 words). It appears all are actually referring to QuickPitch and gave the wrong name. If you leave the surrounding quotes off for either, Google assumes you mean the two words somewhere in the post but not the product name and gives over 6000 hits, all off topic.
Unread 08-31-2012, 02:03 PM   #6
cx
Moderator emeritus

Larry, it might help to avoid the same confusion here if you'll post a link to each of the specific products you're considering.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2012, 02:20 PM   #7
zeaflal

Good idea CX. Thanks.

The Kerdi-Line drain is here: http://www.kerdi-line.com/

The ProLine drain from QuickDrain is here: http://www.quickdrainusa.com/ . QuickSlope is shown under their list of accessories here: http://www.quickdrainusa.com/shower-pans.php . There is a link to the data sheet there, but the installation instructions are part of the drain installation instructions.
Unread 08-31-2012, 06:33 PM   #8
dhagin

Moved ya here for some more looks Larry. Might get moved back at some point...

Unread 09-02-2012, 02:59 AM   #9
T_Hulse
Tile Contractor

Larry, I would recommend the Kerdi-Line drain. It comes from a larger company with a much longer track record of shower drain and tile expertise, and they're one of the rare ones that really do stand behind their products. The difference in minimum heights just reflects a more conservative company giving you a little margin of error there. It is still much thinner than a traditional 2-layer standard mud shower floor. Also, the ProLine drain, if you want it that low, requires you to hack a huge trough out of your subfloor, substantially weakening support there. If the drain is paralell to the joists, then you also have to get underneath to add blocking to make up for the structural hacking; and in the real world it is painfully difficult trying to fit full-size blocking up and around plumbing pipes there. I just think it is an improper system to be hacking into your structure that much and then trying to patch/repair it.
Schluter also has the Kerdi-Shower LS trays, which I think are superior to the Quickslope sheets you were looking at, especially since they come in a variety of sizes so you don't have as many seams and/or doubling-up of layers.
Unread 09-02-2012, 09:35 PM   #10
dhagin

Check this thread out Larry.

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...d.php?t=102906

Unread 09-02-2012, 10:26 PM   #11
zeaflal

Tom: I like your structural argument. I think that may be a very good reason to go with Kerdi-Line. The plastic honeycomb and thinset that tapered up to an inch thick had me wondering also. The minimum curb height (on the outside) is around 2 inches for QuickDrain and 3 inches for Kerdi-Line. A big percentage difference, but as you pointed out that is still a pretty low curb.

Dana: I saw that post. Very nicely done but I don’t think I would want one. I don’t think I would want an offset in my shower floor. I guess if it is along the plumbing wall, you probably will not step on it. Any other wall and I think I would.

I also saw a Jaclo channel drain display at my local plumbing showroom. Looked nice. Inside was very clean – looked like it would be real easy to clean. (That seems to be a complaint with some.) I don’t think it is compatible with Kerdi.
Unread 09-02-2012, 11:25 PM   #12
T_Hulse
Tile Contractor

How did you get your 3" figure Larry? Do you have a really large shower?
Unread 09-03-2012, 08:24 AM   #13
cx
Moderator emeritus

Or your 2" figure, for that matter.

Wasn't aware there was any standard for the height of the outside of a shower curb.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2012, 08:48 AM   #14
zeaflal

Actually, I would prefer curbless but it’s a small room over existing trusses. There is no way I can build up the outside floor without making the rest of the room too weird. So the next best thing is a minimal height curb.

The normal standard is 2 inches from the drain to the curb top. With a linear drain just inside the curb (no other viable location), that makes the inside of the curb 2 inches high. The ProLine drain flange mounts on the plywood floor, so 2 inches on the inside means 2 inches on the outside. Kerdi-Line needs an inch of mortar bed under the drain flange, so that translates into 3 inches outside the curb.

Of course, I kinda approximated some of these numbers and ignored the random sixteenth here and there, but the result is close enough for concept planning.
Unread 09-03-2012, 09:28 AM   #15
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Not totally sure, but I think instead of a standard you mean code. Every municipality around Houston has a different idea on that.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase