Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 05-10-2012, 01:27 AM   #1
jimbo76

What's a fair price for this tile job?

Hi Everyone,

Newbie here and I was wondering if I could get some advice? I just closed escrow on our first house and I wanted to replace the existing ceramic floor tiles in the entryway, kitchen, and downstairs bath with 24' x 24' travertine tiles. I'm actually ok with the way it looks now, but my wife insists the tile has to go. I'm attaching pictures of how it looks now below.

In the spirit of happy wife = happy life, I went ahead and got several bids for the job from 3 different contractors (I am not a do-it-yourself kinda person). The house was built in 1988 and I live in Southern California. The total area involved for the ceramic tiles to be replaced is 325 sq ft. The bids ranged from $3500 to $5000 for labor only (demolition of existing tile, laying and sealing the new 24x24 travertine over existing slab). We are to supply the tiles at our own cost.

I am new to home ownership and this will be our first home improvement project. As such, I am not familiar with what is considered a fair price for a job like this. Do these bids sound reasonable? I don't mind paying more to get the job done right, even if it means delaying the job until we can save up more money. I apologize in advance if I left out any pertinent information. Any input greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Jim
Attached Images

jimbo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2012, 03:48 AM   #2
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

Even in my area that's a fair price.If it's anticrack and mudjob.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:24 AM   #3
jimbo76

Thanks for you input. Stupid question from a newbie, but do you mind explaining what anticrack and mudjob is and what the alternatives are (which I'm assuming are inferior).

Jim
Old 05-10-2012, 08:17 AM   #4
jcTILEworks
jcTILEworks

Send a message via Yahoo to jcTILEworks
Pics look like more then 325 sq ft. No?

http://www.jcTILEworks.com
jcTILEworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:49 PM   #5
jimbo76

hmm...i hope the measurement aren't wrong. we got 3 estimates and they all came out pretty close to one another at 325 sq ft. the area to the left of the bar in the 3rd picture we going to end up putting carpet in, so it's just the kitchen floor to the right, which connects to the entryway and also the bathroom that needs to be replaced.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:40 PM   #6
Hank B.

3-5k seems right to me, have to look at the place to be sure, maybe you could add your location. That way if someone from the forum is in your area they could stop by and give you an estimate as well. 24x24 travertine is a difficult install to say the least. Important to get right.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:42 PM   #7
jimbo76

the house is in Torrance, CA.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:38 PM   #8
cx
Da Home Builder

Welcome, Jim.

A "fair price" is one found agreeable to both buyer and seller. If you've gotten multiple estimates and they "all came out pretty close to one another," chances are that's what you might expect to pay in your area, eh?

Unrealistic to expect even really good online guys from other areas to second guess those on-site bids based upon a few photos and minimal description of the work involved. Really it is.

I think you should focus upon trying to understand exactly what each contractor has agreed to do and to visit at least one similar installation that's been done by each prospective contractor.

If you have specific questions, ask them here for specific advice.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:42 PM   #9
jimbo76

when i said, "all pretty close to one another" i was referred to the measurements of the area because jcTILEworks had stated it looked like more than 325 sq ft.

i don't know how it is for most of the guys in this forum but $1500 is a significant price difference for me between bids and i was trying to see what other people thought. sorry if i was being unrealistic here.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:45 PM   #10
reefone
tile setter

you have to see what installation methods the guys are using to set the tiles. that may explain the big diference in quotes.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase