Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > The Mud Box

Sponsors

Unread 05-15-2011, 04:45 AM   #1
Bruce H

In case no one has said it...

... or said it lately, thank you to all you pros who help us DIY'ers do tile the correct way. I've seen some of the advice on other forums and it just makes me shudder. You people put in a lot of time helping people like me and I appreciate it very much. And to be honest, I've always been a little surprised that you do this because it seems like you're taking work away from yourselves. So again, THANKS!!
Unread 05-15-2011, 05:14 AM   #2
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

For all the guys..

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2011, 06:08 AM   #3
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Thank you, Bruce.

Most (but not all) of us agree that helping DIYers doesn't take work away from the pros. I know, because I'm a DIYer myself, and I know that if there is any way feasible for me to do a job I'm going to do it. A pro never had a chance at that job to begin with.

There are plenty of other people who are not DIYers, and they will always seek out a pro. That's true in any profession.

We like to think we are actually improving our trade by attempting to weed out the hacks and would-be's and by dispelling some of the really bad advice and information that seems to float around.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2011, 08:41 AM   #4
vrusso123
N. E. Ohio tile-setter

i second that bruce. i have been in the tile buiseness for 14 yrs. i know how to stick em', and for the most part i was doing it right, but i didnt know why. i just did as i was told. when i started on my own i cut corners that i should/would not have if i had known WHY i was taught that way. this website brings tradition and pride back to my work. thankyou.

"just keep stickin' 'em" - Pat Reagan
vrusso123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2011, 08:44 AM   #5
Steve C

What JB said. Same goes for other types of work.

I started as a DIY'er myself, but without the help of a dynamite forum like this one. It didn't keep me from doing the work myself, it just made it much harder to do a good job.

I've shown lots of homeowners how to do lots of things. Explained what I'm doing and why, often while they watch. If I show them how to do something that they're able and willing to do, that frees up more of their money to pay me to do stuff they can't.

Been doing that for almost 10 years now. Haven't had one yet go into my business. Even if they do some of the work I could have done for them, it's more than come back to me in referrals and other work that they couldn't or didn't want to do.

What goes around comes around.
Unread 05-15-2011, 09:10 AM   #6
tilerite

Bruce
I don't profess to know or comprehend who or what god is, but I believe with all my heart that I was put here to do more than just serve myself. Giving back and helping others is the greatest thing we can do as humans. Of course, that goes well beyond offering advice on a contractors forum.
tilerite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2011, 04:24 AM   #7
Bruce H

I was lucky in that the 2 firms I worked for over the years always had at least a couple young "kids" fresh out of school. I have always enjoyed taking the young architects under my wing and teach them how to actually put a building together. Besides saying "do it this way", I always tried to tell them why you did it this way. In fact the comment was made once that if you asked me what time it was, I'd tell you haw a clock worked

Same thing in my wife and I hobby of showing and breeding dogs. We have always had 1 or 2 people who we are teaching to show. And we have one person who we are starting to mentor for breeding. I guess both of us have always enjoyed helping others out.

BTW you guys don't have to worry about me becoming your competition. I really enjoy tile work, but only as a hobby. That stuff sometimes gets to be just plain hard work! Especially grouting walls that I finished up yesterday. Now to deal with the wife's punchlist!
Unread 05-17-2011, 04:55 AM   #8
HS345
Tile Contractor

I don't help out in the shallow end as much as I should. But I don't believe doing so takes work away from us. Weekend warriors are gonna attempt to tackle their own projects no matter what, the good folks who dedicate their time to dispense advice inna shallow end are just helping to ensure the projects are done right. In the long run, I believe that helps promote our industry, and may actually gain work for us.
Unread 05-17-2011, 05:10 AM   #9
jondon
Hershey Pennsylvania Tile Contractor

Send a message via AIM to jondon
Yes I agree, helping out people who have already decided they are going to take on a tile project is not a job lost for us. Many of us were DIYers in the beginning so we understand that side of the coin. People know about this forum so they do come on here looking for pros. We learn as well, with so many people on here and so many backgrounds you can't help but to pick up new ideas. We live in a world where most people help themselves, personally I git a lot more satisfaction out of helping others. Easy to take, much harder to give.

If more people looking to do tile work knew about this forum they would be on here looking for a pro and not on Angies, or ServiceMagic. I realize the bottom line is revenue, they make money on all the leads they give out and you got a chance at getting work. It is not free though, you can come on here and find someone almost anywhere in the US or nearby. No one in the middle. Best situation, tile contractor working directly with the customer.

I think this forum can be helpful too if someone is contemplating doing a project. They see one a those building shows sponsored by Homers and come on here to ask if they really can do a full bath in 1/2 hour. We will tell them it will more likely take 1 hour if you're slow

Jon Donmoyer

JD Tile

CTEF Certified Installer #825

Custom Tile Installation in Hershey & surrounding areas

Serving Dauphin, Lebanon, Berks, Chester, & Montgomery Counties PA
jondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2011, 09:44 AM   #10
tbomb

seconding Bruce's thanks and appreciation.
Unread 05-17-2011, 04:43 PM   #11
cx
Moderator emeritus

Thanks, Bruce, we don't tell these folks thanks near often enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg
I don't help out in the shallow end as much as I should.
I been meanin' to talk to you abut that, Greg.

Naaaa, we appreciate all the help you do give the visitors. And we appreciate all the other unpaid help we get from our moderators and regular participants. We couldn't run the place without you. And that's a fact.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2011, 05:51 PM   #12
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Its my firm belief I get more out of this forum than I put in.

And it keeps me out of the pool hall, which someone else appreciates.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2011, 06:26 PM   #13
My Dream

I can't begin to imagine what my bathroom would look like without all the help everyone has given me. Many thanks to the pros and diy'ers for taking the time to set me on the right path when I was veering too far to the left or right. You have all been amazing!
Unread 05-17-2011, 06:50 PM   #14
Levi the Tile Guy
Tile and Stone Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Its my firm belief I get more out of this forum than I put in.

And it keeps me out of the pool hall, which someone else appreciates.
Amen to all of that Paul...Cept for Thursday nights that's league night, and I hear about it every week.

Grand Junction, Colorado Tile and Stone installation

Levi the Tile Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2011, 07:10 PM   #15
tilelayer
South East PA Tile Contractor

Before I found this site (I found it when I was 21) 27 now. I would do showers with mastic, i remember going back to one and the tiles were still moving I knew something wasn't right I knew that stuff was no good. It turns out my hunch was correct, used to do the liquid nails under cement board. Now its thinset for everything.

***New Here?? Click here to add your name to your signature***

Check out my Blog and see my latest tiling projects!

Specializing in Kerdi Showers
tilelayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase