Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-12-2021, 12:08 PM   #1
ttnicky

Remove tile or baseboard first when BB is tiled in?

I'm demo'ing my ground floor in preparation to install tile all throughout. My house is about 3 years old and is mostly carpet with a few "islands" of tile (front entry, kitchen, pantry). I have a tile installer coming but I am demo'ing to save some money. Of course, when it was built the baseboards were done first, flush with the concrete slab, and carpet and tile came in next. I want my new tile job done right so I will be removing the baseboards for the tiler.
My question is, where the tile went right up to the baseboards and was grouted to them, is it best to remove the tile first, or try to extract the baseboard first? My intuition is it will be easier to get the baseboards after the tile is removed, but I wanted to double check before I do something stupid.
Thanks in advance!
Unread 05-12-2021, 08:49 PM   #2
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Grout to baseboard won't have a strong bond, so Depending on where they may have nailed the baseboard, you might not be able to get it out, but in the process of tearing out the tile, you might ding it up more.

Industry standards call for that joint to be caulked, or to create an air gap...that's often done by leaving a gap to the wall, then installing the baseboard on top of it so the tile can expand underneath. It also makes it easier to hide any imperfections in that cut. That may mean refinishing the baseboards as they may not be finished beneath the tile.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2021, 10:09 PM   #3
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

If you want to save the baseboard, it’s best to pull the baseboard off the wall, then pull the nails through the back side. So that means it’s advantageous to remove the tile that’s trapping the base ahead of time. Otherwise, you have to tilt the base so far forward to get enough clearance to release the nail from the wall. By that time, you’re marring the baseboard against the tile.

But even if you’re not saving the base, I’d remove the tile ahead of time just to make the removal of the base easier.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase