Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-08-2021, 11:04 PM   #1
Iltbsc

Looking for advice on large plank install

I’m taking on a large tile project for myself. I’m going to purchase Surface Art Flamed Burned in 45x7. I have a large living area that connects to a formal living and dining area. I’m looking at a 990 sqft area. My sub floor is 7/8” t&g osb. I’m considering strata mat and using a leveling system. I’m not sure what thin set to uses under and on top of the strata. The manufacturer recommended a minimum 3/16 grout line. I don’t have the tile yet so I haven’t been able to measure the variance. Any advice to make this project a success would be appreciated.
Unread 05-09-2021, 02:02 PM   #2
Kman

Welcome to the forum, Lance.

Do you have any experience setting tile? Those plank tiles can be quite a challenge to keep flat and even. A leveling system will help, but it's best to get the floor as flat as possible before you start.

Are you sure about the thickness of the subfloor?

Whatever the manufacturer recommends on the grout joint should be followed. They've set those guidelines for a reason, and if they realistically thought the joint could be smaller, they would've set it as such. And if they have a minimum offset, make sure you follow that as well. But you definitely don't want to set them with a 50% offset, as it will enhance any warpage in the plank.

I would use a good quality modified mortar for installing Stratamat and the tile. You'll be limited by what's available in your area, and you'll probably need 25 or more bags. Expect to spend around $18-25 per bag for something good.

I'd use a trowel with a notch that is 1/2" deep.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2021, 05:38 PM   #3
Iltbsc

I tiled my backsplash with 6x24 tiles but that’s the extent of my tiling. I have done a ton of construction projects through the years and I’m hoping that experience will help me with this project. I’m a bit nervous with the size of these though and that’s why I’m reaching out here for advice. Any tips or tricks to control lipage would be appreciated.

I popped a vent and I measured the subfloor. I found it to be 7/8” osb.
Unread 05-09-2021, 08:04 PM   #4
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

7/8” OSB is a real product, but it’s not at all common in my neck of the woods. That’s why we’re asking about it. My first caution would be to make sure that it isn’t really 3/4” OSB that has swollen due to moisture damage.

With typical large format tiles:
Your biggest hurdle is not starting with a substrate flat enough to install those large tiles without having massive lippage. The industry standard, when prepping a substrate for large format tile (tiles with any edge greater than 15”) is to get the substrate to within 1/8” of a flat over 10’ in every direction (and no more than 1/16” over any given 2’). But with your very long 48” tiles, you may want to consider prepping the floor even flatter. While the 1/8” of flat over 10’ is a very flat floor that takes a considerable amount of time, I would want it even flatter. To accomplish this, many pros will either use self-leveling cement over the whole floor...or pack a mud floor.

With a wood structure like yours, the floor is very likely to be quite a bit wavier than these specs listed above. If you were to lay a 10’ straightedge on the floor and get down on your knees to carefully examine the “peaks” and “valleys”, you might be surprised. Rotate the straightedge a random amount and check it again...and you might be surprised at how much better or worse it gets. You may want to start by examining the flatness of your floor.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2021, 06:44 PM   #5
Iltbsc

I will pay special attention to the floor and report back what I find. I have to finish up some other projects before I get started on this. What tile leveling system would you recommend. I’ve looked at a couple but they don’t come in 3/16. Where would you recommend I get the strata from?
Unread 05-10-2021, 10:51 PM   #6
BIGPHIL

Welcome to the forum, Lance! Check for local distributors for Laticrete products here. As for your anti-lippage system, most can be used with additional spacers of your choosing. Just put the spacers in before you tighten the system down.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase