Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-14-2021, 12:31 PM   #1
CasperGhost

Trowel type and size for 12 x 12 marble tile sheet

What type notch and size trowel should be used to install 12" x 12" marble mosaic tile sheets for a kitchen backsplash. The tile sheets will be installed on painted drywall, which I will rough up prior to installing. I also plan on pre-sealing the marble sheets so none of the color from thin-set or grout blends into the tile.

I will attach pictures of the front and back of the tile sheets.

Thank you very much for any information you can provide. I just installed a few glass installations and the manufacturer specified the trowel type and size, but not for this tile.

Best,

Mark
Attached Images

Unread 03-14-2021, 02:55 PM   #2
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

If the wall is quite flat, you might get by with a 1/8" square notched trowel. Press the tile in firmly with a grout float, then peel a sheet back and check for coverage. If marginal, go up one size,

Use white thinset.......
Unread 03-14-2021, 05:31 PM   #3
MesaTileworks

How big are the individual tiles? I’d do what Lazarus suggested and start with a 1/8” notch, then check to make sure you are getting adequate coverage.
MesaTileworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2021, 08:46 PM   #4
CasperGhost

The individual tiles are 1" x 4" on a 12" x 12" mesh sheet. Thanks for your help with this.
Unread 03-14-2021, 09:38 PM   #5
MesaTileworks

Yeah, I’d start with a 1/8” square notch. Check for coverage. If too much, thinset will squeeze up too high in the joints, too little and you’ll peel up the tiles and see <80% coverage.
MesaTileworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2021, 11:48 PM   #6
CasperGhost

Thank you very much for your suggestions!

Mark
Unread 04-18-2021, 03:41 PM   #7
CasperGhost

Alkaline resistant mesh tape on kitchen backsplash?

I have just finished putting Densshield backer board up prior to installing my mesh backed marble tile mosaic. I have four small seams where the boards meet. Is it necessary to use mesh tape and thinset on these seams for a kitchen backsplash? Certainly in a shower where we are trying to waterproof the wall, but what about for a kitchen backsplash?

Thanks for your recommendations, I went through a lot of work to this point and want to do the rest of it the correct way.

Best regards,

Mark
Unread 04-18-2021, 04:32 PM   #8
cx
Moderator emeritus

Mark, it'll help if you'll keep all your project questions on one thread so folks can see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered. A moderator can give it a more generic title any time you'd like to suggest one.

Not sure why a fella would install DensShield on a kitchen backsplash, but if that's what you've got, that's what you'll use, eh? The mesh tape and thinset mortar at the backerboard seams is to create close to a monolithic backer material rather than for any waterproofing purpose and I would recommend you treat your seams as instructed by the manufacturer. Since you'll not be applying any waterproofing membrane (I presume), you can do this filling and taping as you set the tiles if you want. That can help in eliminating the "speed bumps" sometimes resulting from treating the seams and letting them cure before setting tile.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2021, 06:05 PM   #9
CasperGhost

CX,

Thank you for the response! I will tape and thinset the seams as you suggest, and I like the idea of doing it as I tile to avoid any potential humps which was a concern of mine. An no, I do not need to add any waterproofing membrane for the backsplash - and I think the Densshield will more than do it

Thanks again.

Mark

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase