Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-20-2021, 05:50 PM   #1
SteveA

DensShield/Floor base for deck mud

Hello all new here. Beginning a custom shower and never done this type of work. Im a mechanic/engine calibrator by trade and wanted to give this a go. I have everything gutted to studs/Floor has 5/8 plywood with paper on it. My question is for installing densShield. I was planning on Installing that on the floor over the plywood and up the walls. I was then planning on doing mesh/deck mud then Kerdi drain, hydro-ban membrane and then hydro ban cementitious rolled on over that. Is the densShield on the floor as a base a bad idea and should I omit that step and deck mud directly on the floor with a vapor barrier? Thanks for any advice its greatly appreciated.

Steve
Unread 03-20-2021, 07:35 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Steve.

1. Are you planning to tile bathroom floor outside the shower?

2. What is the spacing of the floor joists?

3. Does the plywood subfloor have T&G edges?

4. Why have you chosen DensShield? There is certainly no advantage to installing the DensShield on the floor under the shower receptor. Using it for your shower walls if you plan to use a direct bonded waterproofing membrane may be acceptable, but you'll wanna check the Laticrete requirements for that.

5. Why a Kerdi drain if you plan to use Laticrete's Hydroban membrane? Why not use Laticrete's bonding flange drain?

6. Why would you use a second waterproofing material over the first?

Let's start with that.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2021, 07:57 PM   #3
SteveA

CX,

Thanks for the help.

I am tiling the bathroom floor as well.

Floor joists are 16" spacing.

The sub-floor is not T&G

DensShield seemed to be a little easier to work with over some of the other backers. Digging around online some guys seemed to like it.

The Kerdi drain seems a little nicer even though they both seem to be the same idea roughly I believe

Hydroban again over digging around and I've seen some tests that looks like it holds up/waterproofs better. Not sure if there is any merit to that just what I found.

Second waterproofing just because I figure couldn't hurt but maybe it can not sure.

Much thanks again. Lots of products out there and methods. just trying to get started on the right foot.
Unread 03-20-2021, 09:25 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

You need to visit our Deflectometer in the dark blue bar near the top of the page to evaluate your joist structure to determine if you qualify for a ceramic tile installation.

Your subfloor is a problem. That plywood is the absolute minimum thickness required by the ceramic tile industry and that presumes it is in like-new condition and has T&G edges or blocking below each of the between-joist joints. I would not even build a shower over that without correcting the joints. And I would not install tile over it regardless the substrate you choose.

I would recommend you use the drain made by whatever manufacturer is making your waterproofing membrane. You don't like their drain, select a different membrane made by the manufacturer of the drain you like.

I would recommend you select a waterproofing membrane (and a sheet-type membrane) in which you have confidence and build your shower receptor using that and only that. You don't have confidence in that type of membrane? Build a traditional shower receptor with a clamping drain and an approved 40mil PVC or CPE liner.

Pick a system. They all work if installed exactly as specified by the manufacturer.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2021, 05:48 AM   #5
SteveA

Makes sense,

ill be re-evaluating some things here. Appreciate the input again.

Steve
Unread 03-21-2021, 08:19 AM   #6
MesaTileworks

Hi Steve,
I’m working on a shower project myself, and I ended up putting down a second layer of 1/2” BC plywood over the 3/4” subfloor to address a similar issue to what you have going on, as per CX’s recommendation.

Assuming that your joist span meets the specs for tile (gotta love the old deflectometer that CX mentioned) that extra 1/2” or 3/4” if ply might be a good approach for that aspect of your project. There’s a great article that CX shared with me in an earlier thread that gives some good specifics for the additional layer of subfloor and your underlayment:

https://www.johnbridge.com/images/mi...-0604.pdf..pdf

Having worked with both DensShield and Durock and done a bunch of reading, I’ve come to the conclusion that Durock (or a similar product like Wonderboard) is superior to D-Shield, even though it’s a little trickier to work with, so that would be my recommendation for your underlayment and walls (assuming either a bonded or liquid waterproofing membrane for any “wet” areas—inside the shower etc.)
MesaTileworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2021, 08:29 PM   #7
SteveA

I did some more digging around today, there was actually two layers of plywood already there and I didnt see it initially when I tore the old shower out. Good to know on the D-shield. Quite a bit of information out there once you start digging. Nice to have a place like this to get some help for sure.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase