Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-16-2021, 06:58 PM   #106
Sclib

Back wall tile started!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CX
Scott, just tell your memory bank that it's never OK to butt your ceramic tile against anything, including other ceramic tile. No ambiguity, there.
Thanks CX, simple enough to remember

Started back wall tile today. I gotta say, these leveling devices (this is the only one I’ve ever used) are a Godsend!!! Being a novice I knew the tile setting on a wall wasn’t going to be super easy…..but these things made it a whole lot easier. Probably used more than necessary but…..if ya got em, use em!!!!!

Other thing I learned today was aprox how much mortar to do the 4 rows of tile. Gives me a clearer idea going forward as I am never going to mix a full 50lb bag of mortar at one time.

Stay safe out there!!!
Attached Images

Scott
Sclib is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2021, 07:15 AM   #107
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
I used the same system, Scott, and really liked it. And yeah, maybe used a few more than you needed to - which might matter if you were setting tile for a living and cost was a factor. The box of caps is a sunk cost, and the spacers are relatively inexpensive.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2021, 12:06 PM   #108
Sclib

Dilema with tile at ceiling

So I’m finishing up top 2 rows of back shower wall today. As has been mentioned numerous times on this forum, ceiling is not even. Not bad, but not even. It is aprox 1/8” higher at the far right side. Starts in about the middle of the 48” span and gets to the 1/8” higher in the corner. Please ignore overall height of laser lines…..did this just to get photos and ask question. Yes I know the tape measure is angled…..but the difference is 1/8”…..was just hoping photos would help my verbal description.

So, need advice as to the best way to handle this?

There are 3 pieces in this top ceiling row and rise starts about middle of the center piece.

First question would be…..grout is very similar color to the light tan color of this tile. Will it look terrible if I take the easy way out and just cut everything straight across top (12” tiles have to be ripped down to about 9.5”).

OR, is it best to try and angle the cut upward from left to right to compensate for the 1/8” difference.

I do understand the caulking and not grout recommendation at a change of plane. For purpose of my question, let’s assume it’s going to be caulked (but it will probably be grouted lol!!!)

Pretty sure I know the answer but needed to bounce it off you guys.

I am questioning my skills at angling this top tile.

Don’t know if these photos show clearly what I am describing, but I’m sure you guys already know what I’m up against.
Attached Images

Scott

Last edited by Sclib; 05-20-2021 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Clarification
Unread 05-20-2021, 09:38 PM   #109
Sclib

Advice on setting top row of tile

I did not set top row today. Waiting for some advice per last post.

Big question is: Is the eye going to notice the top grout line if it goes from 1/8” to 1/4” in a 2 foot span (again, grout is similar in color to light tan color in the tile).

Thanks and be safe out there!!
Attached Images

Scott
Unread 05-21-2021, 07:10 AM   #110
Gozo

It looks like your next row is a half tile, full tile, half tile.

Quote:
Is the eye going to notice the top grout line if it goes from 1/8” to 1/4” in a 2 foot span
I would. And you probably will every time you walk into the bathroom..

Quote:
OR, is it best to try and angle the cut upward from left to right to compensate for the 1/8” difference.
Yup. Not hard to do. Looks like you’ll have to slice a bit from the tops of the tiles anyway. Minimal additional effort to cut at the slight angle needed. You’ll have some silicone matching caulk in the wall/ceiling junction anyway, so the minor imperfections will get hidden to some degree.
Unread 05-21-2021, 10:44 AM   #111
Sclib

Angle cuts at top tile row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff
Yup. Not hard to do. Looks like you’ll have to slice a bit from the tops of the tiles anyway. Minimal additional effort to cut at the slight angle needed.
Thanks Jeff. Do you or anyone have any suggestions as to best way to make this small angled cut? Yes there are 3 tiles at top…..half, full, half.

My thinking is as in photo below with 5 cuts. Cut 1 is left tile at the 9.5” height all the way across. Cut 2 would be cut the middle tile at the 9.5” height to the middle of tile. Cut 3 would be straight down from top of center tile, taking half the tile to the 9.5”. Cut 4 would be from center of middle tile at slight angle upward toward right (from 9.5” and ending 1/16” higher). Final cut 5 would be on far right 1/2 tile starting at 9.5” + 1/16” and finishing at right corner at 1/16” higher (gives me the 1/8” rise from middle of center tile to right edge of far right tile).

Seems like a blade width or less on these angle cuts which is why I am nervous.

Would grinder be a better way (than table saw) to make these 1/16” angled cuts?

Can you or anyone speak to my fuzzy math or technique above….or suggest a better way to do this???

Thanks and be safe out there!!
Attached Images

Scott

Last edited by Sclib; 05-21-2021 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Addition
Unread 05-22-2021, 05:32 PM   #112
Sclib

Success on top tile row!

Well, I’m guessing that my “how best to cut a 1/16” angle” was just to much of a mind twister. Either that or you all just figured that I was overthinking it and would work it out once I started cutting. I’m thinking it was the latter

Top gap actually came out a little bigger than 1/8 (but not 1/4”) in a couple spots but I can live with that. I really don’t think you’re going to notice it once it’s caulked/grouted.

Also got the front and interior face of the curb set……piece of cake compared to the wall tile. Can’t wait to start cutting tiles around the niche on the right side wall If anyone wants to offer up tips for cutting tiles around the niche I’m all ears/eyes.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Stay safe out there!!
Attached Images

Scott
Unread 05-22-2021, 07:16 PM   #113
Sclib

Important…..which end to start side wall tile?

Just realized I have a more important question than the Niche advice above. I will be starting my side walls tomorrow or Monday (yes, I know I need to put Curb Tile Cap on first).

Trim would go where the pencil line is in the pic with the black arrow (if you can see it or if you care).

I am thinking about using the Schluter trim shown on at the end of each wall.

Question is: Should I start my tile at the far edge and work toward the back wall/corners. Seems if I start the tile install at the metal trim and work back toward the corners, I can make sure it is level/square with no cuts at the trim. Of course this would mean cut tiles in the corners…..but this seems preferable to me. If there is a little unevenness in corners, I have caulk/grout to help clean it up.

Again, this question is more pressing as I will not get to the niche until later on next week.

Thank you and I eagerly await an outpouring of sage advice on this topic.

Be safe out there!!
Attached Images

Scott
Unread 05-25-2021, 06:49 PM   #114
Sclib

Started left side wall…diggin it!!!

Once again, no replies to my “which end to start on above”. And once again I’m guessing you all said “it doesn’t matter….it all works out the same”. For the what it’s worth department, I did start the bottom row against the aluminum trim and worked back to the corner.

Posted update pic. And I know, grout line in curb does not match up. I caught it while it was still wet but…..my wife looked at it and said it looks great and you will not see it as much once the light colored grout is in. She’s right on the grout but still I get so bogged down in the minutiae and then forget about stuff that is more important. Read a post here a couple days ago that used the term “analysis paralysis”. That about sums it all up

SO……I’m still open to advice on cutting tiles around the niche. Even though I might get the same “deer in the headlights” reaction from the forum?

Thanks and be safe out there.
Attached Images

Scott
Unread 05-25-2021, 08:25 PM   #115
cx
Moderator emeritus

If I understand the question, I'd start setting at the outside edge trim and have my cuts at the back corner.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2021, 09:01 PM   #116
Sclib

Thanks CX...start factory edges at trim

Quote:
Quote:
If I understand the question, I'd start setting at the outside edge trim and have my cuts at the back corner.
Thanks CX. Confirms what I was thinking!!

Doing it this way will leave non factory edges in the field but I think that’s preferable to non factory edges at the trim.

Scott
Unread 05-29-2021, 09:05 PM   #117
Sclib

Left wall tile hung

Just a progress pic. And yes I’m still going a little crazy with the levelers

Stay safe out there!!!
Attached Images

Scott
Unread 05-30-2021, 01:44 AM   #118
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

...maybe a little. But you’re obtaining good, neat results. And the extra cost is relatively low in the scheme of the project.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2021, 07:38 AM   #119
Gozo

What kind of door you putin’ in there Scott? I noticed in your last pic (lookin’ good by the way) that the electrical is on the same wall as the water controls. You’d usually want the opening on the same side as the controls so you don’t have to step in to turn the water on to warm up and such. I’m thinking a glass hinge door with the hinge on that side. Looks too narrow for a sliding door. I’d want it to be very difficult to step out with wet hands and grab the switches if it were mine. 99% it’s never going to be a problem but safety first. Just pointing it out; I’m sure you’ve thought it through long ago.
Unread 05-30-2021, 07:58 AM   #120
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
And yes I’m still going a little crazy with the levelers
Yeah, but they're still a little fun to pop them off.

If the light switches are a concern you could always just install a GFCI breaker in the panel for that circuit. The zap will be minimal.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase