Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-27-2017, 09:09 PM   #1
Bobtail2

Grout for marble tile backsplash with 3/16" space

I have a marble tile backsplash that has 3/16" space between the tiles. My understanding is that I should use a non-sanded grout for marble to avoid scratching the tiles. However, I am concerned about using it for the mosaic because I thought it should be used for 1/8" or less to avoid problems with shrinking.

Attached is a picture of a portion of the marble mosiac, which comes on 12x12 sheets.

Thanks for any advice,

Cathy
Attached Images

Unread 06-27-2017, 09:20 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

I'd recommend you use sanded grout if you can, Cathy. Make up a little test board with some of your tile and test your chosen grout on it. Some grouts will scratch more than others.

Those joints look more like about 1/8th" to me, and on a backsplash you can probably get by with un-sanded if you really have to, but I'd still recommend sanded if you can use it without harming your tiles.

You might wanna try one of the newer single-component grouts such as MAPEI's Flexcolor CQ or Custom's Fusion Pro. Don't think either will scratch your tile and either can be used in joints from 1/16th-inch to 1/2-inch.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2017, 09:22 PM   #3
tatumjonj

I'd say based on the tape measure sitting there and the great photo those grout joints are 1/8" pretty much on the nose. I'm sure somebody can recommend a grout that is lightly sanded suitable for that material.
Unread 06-27-2017, 09:34 PM   #4
Bobtail2

If you have done a similar project, what have you used in the past that worked well without scratching the polished marble?

I was considering using Mapei Ultracolor Plus grout on this, which is sanded. Has anyone ever used this with polished marble and did it scratch?

Thanks
Unread 06-27-2017, 09:52 PM   #5
wwhitney

The tape measure reads 3/32" for the gap. (Edit: or maybe 7/64").

Cheers, Wayne
Unread 06-28-2017, 04:29 AM   #6
Karls tile Inc
Tile and stone contractor Tile setter

Sanded. Most of the newer high performance grout use smaller sand particles which results in a smoother fuller grout joint.

Karlstile.com
Karls tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2017, 05:07 AM   #7
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

Edit. (You guys are right. Ignore this post. But I will leave it so that you can laugh)

Remind me to never let most of you guys measure for me. That is not an 1/8th of an inch. More like a sbch under a 3/16th.

I wouldn't use non sanded grout unless it says that it's good for grout joints that big and its the look that you are going for. I would use sanded. Maybe pick a brand that has fine sand in it.

I am neither clever or funny

It's just a clever handle.

Last edited by Shady at Best; 06-28-2017 at 09:41 AM. Reason: 3 am post
Shady at Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2017, 06:27 AM   #8
Bobtail2

Can anyone recommend some brands with find sand?

Thanks!
Unread 06-28-2017, 06:48 AM   #9
nelsonkoehn
showers & more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
Remind me to never let most of you guys measure for me. That is not an 1/8th of an inch. More like a sbch under a 3/16th.

Are you holding your tape to the screen? Maybe you should adjust the zoom level.

tile.nkoehn.com
nelsonkoehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2017, 07:50 AM   #10
JerseyDIYguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobtail2
Can anyone recommend some brands with find sand?
I used Tec Powergrout on a marble mosaic floor with grout joints as small as 1/16" and had no issues at all. You can see some pics here:

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...9&postcount=56

And closeups here:

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...0&postcount=13

The Powergrout has fine sand in it. I used honed marble rather than polished, but I don't think that the fine sand would cause problems even with a polished surface. Give it a try on a test board.
Unread 06-28-2017, 08:30 AM   #11
CaliGrown

Bostik's Hydroment , Laticrete's Permacolor are cement based grouts that will accommodate from 1/16" and beyond.
CaliGrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2017, 08:58 AM   #12
wwhitney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
I'm going with 13/128". :-)

Those bottom markings on the tape measure are 1/32" markings, not 1/16" markings, so it is close to 3/32".

Cheers, Wayne
Unread 06-28-2017, 09:08 AM   #13
prodjsaig

I have heard good things about flexcolor cq. a non portland based grout but if you can get cement grout from a place that sells a lot of it that would be my choice. Im always leary about buying grout from hardware stores because they dont turn over the products enough (at least not in the non popular colors)

other than that just preseal your tiles you can even prewet them before grouting. also when doing your lines you can avoid doing the serpentine wiping and carefully fill your lines.
Unread 06-28-2017, 09:19 AM   #14
prodjsaig

sorry by prewetting i meant when you go to do your first grout rinse you can spray it lightly with water to make it easier to clean up. a very light spray. you may even not want to do that because you dont want to wash out anything
Unread 06-28-2017, 09:25 AM   #15
nelsonkoehn
showers & more

Grout for marble tile backsplash with 3/16" space

The thing about CQ is that it's next to impossible to get a full joint on a sharp edged tile like that. Unless you'll let the grout set until firm. But then you'll have a latex film that will need to be scrubbed off. Which somewhat defeats the selling points of that grout.

CQ is my go to grout with most porcelain or ceramic tiles.

But,

I've nearly crossed out CQ when used on natural stone. For me there is more cons than pros. Cleanup especially. And then the no sealer point, but the tile needs a sealer, so ... And has anyone successfully grouted CQ on travertine.

If it were me I would try Mapei UltraColor Plus FA, with a light touch. It may scratch, but I think not. This is a fast acting grout tho, needs to be cleaned up in 15-20 minutes. If you'll wait until the end of the cleanup period you should end up with mostly flush/full joints.

tile.nkoehn.com
nelsonkoehn is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase