Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-15-2021, 07:38 PM   #1
joelbrown1213

Kerdi Shower Pan Water Test

I've recently installed my first Kerdi shower. I did a 24 hr water test and am hesitant about the results. The water level dropped less than 1/8 of an inch, so I'm OK with this. However it looks like I had wicking into the seam over the 2 inch requirement in some areas (see image).

Is this a concern? If so, how should I remedy it (i.e. Redguard over the shower pan before tiling)?
Attached Images

Last edited by joelbrown1213; 05-16-2021 at 06:46 PM.
joelbrown1213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-15-2021, 07:42 PM   #2
Kman

Welcome to the forum, Joel.

How long from the time you installed the membrane until you flooded it?

What mortar did you use?

Did you have at least a 2" overlap at every seam?

Can you post a couple of pictures from a little further back so we can tell what it is we're looking at?

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2021, 06:44 PM   #3
joelbrown1213

Thanks for the reply. Here's some additional info.

1. I waited >48 hours before performing the water test. So wait time should not be an issue

2. Yes, at least 2 inch overlap at all seams.

3. I used Schluter AllSet to apply Kerdi-band along seams and followed manufacturer's instructions to the best of my ability .

4. See additional picture below to provide context. The close up image shows one area where the seepage (darker area under the kerdi-band) exceeds two inches. There are other similar areas.
Attached Images

Unread 05-16-2021, 10:59 PM   #4
Shaklee3

Hi Joel, it's still a bit hard to see in that photo, but at first glance it looks like a lot of thinset is on each seam. I'm not able to see the band or corner pieces at all. What's the big circle around the drain? For what it's worth, in my thread I also saw slight wicking during the flood test, but did not observe the water level dropping at all. Did you possibly have any band or corners that weren't quite flat?

Here's mine for reference
Attached Images

Unread 05-17-2021, 03:59 PM   #5
joelbrown1213

Of course, it's possible that something wasn't flat, but there was no sign or evidence of this at the time of install.

The ring around the drain is the Schluter drain assembly (see picture below).
Attached Images

Unread 05-17-2021, 10:59 PM   #6
Kman

So did you cut a separate piece to go over the drain? Your floor piece should have easily covered it.

Here's my thinking on the spot you show as leaking. Assuming that's the only place, then it must have had something to do with the way it was installed, such as too much mortar, not enough mortar, or something along those lines. Otherwise, why isn't all of it leaking?

It's not unusual to create a little wrinkle when forcing the mortar out along the seams, which is why I use a sponge to wipe up all the excess. If you don't, you could have a spot that lets water in, and you can't even see it because of the build up.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase