Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-13-2021, 07:37 AM   #16
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Instead of 3/4" T&G OSB, with 3/8" ply on top you might consider 5/8" T&G OSB/ply with 1/2" ply on top.

3/8" ply isn't so great. The sheets typically are not very flat right off the rack, making them a bit of a challenge to get to lay flat on the floor. At least one of our members reported that his 3/8" ply bulged between rows of fasteners.

In any case, you'll want any ply you install to have a face grade of no lower than C, and rated Exposure 1/EXP1 - meaning the ply was made using a moisture resistant glue. You will want your first layer of ply/OSB glued and screwed to the joists, but your second layer screwed into the first layer of ply, with no adhesive between the two (unless yo intent to roll on a full coverage adhesive). See this article from our library for more detail. https://www.johnbridge.com/images/mi...-0604.pdf..pdf
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2021, 08:16 PM   #17
Davidjames1

Which thinset for CBU to OSB?

Hi all,
Wondering your thoughts on which thinset to put under cbu to 3/4 osb subflooring.
Normally I use a modified. But have heard some recommend un-modified?

And lastly, if I was to do a second layer of plywood for height (if needed) before cbu, would you guys recommend troweling titebond2 for the ply to osb bond? Maybe scuff the osb to help with glue?

Thanks
Unread 05-13-2021, 09:46 PM   #18
cx
Moderator emeritus

David, it'll help if you'll keep all your project questions on one thread so folks can see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered.

You want to go to the CBU manufacturer's website and look at his installation instructions. That will include the type of mortar to be used under the CBU panels. It's usually either modified or un-modified, but some specify modified. I don't know why. The purpose of the mortar is to provide a 100 percent footprint for the CBU panels, not to bond it to anything. The mortar holds the panel up, the mechanical fasteners hold it down.

I've always been a big fan of gluing all parts of a wood framed subfloor, but I wouldn't try gluing anything to OSB. If you follow the instructions from this good article from our Liberry, you'll be fine.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2021, 01:14 AM   #19
Davidjames1

Thanks for the reply guys!

At my big box store they have ACX 1/2” and 3/8. It’s clean considering what I have seen at our stores in previous years.

I will know by today if 1/2” will work over the osb once demo is done.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase