Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-07-2021, 04:18 PM   #16
MesaTileworks

Follow-up question: after embedding the tape in the joint but before applying a liquid membrane, do both sides of the paper joint get topcoated with drywall mud? Or just the drywall side? Is it normal to cover the paper with mud or thinset before applying waterproofing?

(I guess I’m just wondering about the gypsum-based drywall mud and whether it’s ok to sandwich that between the CBU and the membrane—in this case Mapei Aquadefense).
MesaTileworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2021, 07:06 PM   #17
cx
Moderator emeritus

Looks like that's a pretty low ceiling, Matt, or a high shower head location.

In any case, I wouldn't worry about it. You can cover it in some thinset mortar if you want, or just apply the AquaDefense. That drywall mud isn't an approved substrate for the AquaDefense, but I wouldn't be concerned in that application. See my warranty information below.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2021, 07:23 PM   #18
BIGPHIL

Matt,
Id' think that joint should have been set with alkali resistant mesh tape and thinset. From over here it looks like drywall mud and paper tape. I don't know if it's gonna cause you any problems, but I'd hit that mud and tape that with a quality laytex primer. The AquadDefense TDS says this: Gypsum wallboard (walls only, in approved application
areas only)

Not exactly your situation but by using a gypsum based compound, I'd classify it as such in your case. In any case, the joint is above the shower arm by more than enough so I'd not really worry about it. My previous advise of priming it still stands. Not sure your plans for the ceiling, but if your not tiling it, I'd finish that with whatever the final look and finish will be before tiling the walls.

Others may have more input, but that's how I'd handle it unless a better alternative came along, short of re-doing the joint.

Edit: seems CX beat me to the punch.
Unread 04-07-2021, 10:13 PM   #19
MesaTileworks

Ah, gotchas... that makes sense. So would a better solution for next time be to use the same alkali resistant mesh tape as for the CBU, and then use thinset for the wall side and drywall mud for the ceiling side? (Assuming no tile on ceiling.)
Unread 04-07-2021, 10:53 PM   #20
BIGPHIL

You certainly could do that, Matt. If you use white thinset mortar, not sure I'd go through the trouble of using two different compounds. I'd just embed the alkali resistant tape in thinset and once dried, run the normal routine of applying drywall mud and feathering it out on the ceiling side.
Unread 05-12-2021, 08:13 PM   #21
MesaTileworks

I’ve got a concrete slab under the bathroom-to-be and one corner of it dips back out of level. I’ve got to feather it from nothing to about 3/8” over maybe a 16” span and an area of maybe 2sf. Is there a particular mortar or patch product that folks here prefer, or is thinset or a medium-bed mortar a suitable product for a small patch like this?
Unread 05-13-2021, 08:31 AM   #22
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
I'd want to use an SLC product for that size and depth, Matt.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2021, 08:50 AM   #23
RightUp Sam
Becoming a Rakyat Warrior

Quote:
I regret my flat pebble floor. I went with white grout and after a pristine cleaning, it is already getting yellow in a few showers.

The installer (back before I dabbled in tile) managed to make a few birdbaths on the floor. Drives me nuts. I spent SOOO much money on materials that I cry thinking I will rip it all out because of the floor. I just keep putting it off. It doesn't leak and doesn't stink. 5 years old now.

Sealing doesn't make a difference. Using CLR or some kind of harsh acidic cleaner gets it clean and also makes the stones fade and dissolves the grout. Since I am going to tear it out, I don't care about that. I don't feel like scrubbing it forever. The shower is 4 feet x 8 feet.

I don't mean to derail the thread, and forgive me if this is a stupid question/idea, but I wanted to ask...

Could you use a pourable clear epoxy flooring product to cover the rocks, thus keeping them clean and leveling the floor? Or are the birdbaths too deep, so it would look weird (or it would ruin the "bumpiness" of the surface that I guess is one of the benefits of the pebble floor to begin with)?

I know you said sealing doesn't make a difference, but the epoxy wouldn't be a sealant, specifically, it would be a new surface.

Many if not all of those epoxies are waterproof; I've seen pictures of showers made from them.

Again, forgive me if it's a dumb idea, and I don't mean to derail the thread, but since the OP is considering the pebble floor I thought it might be worth asking.
Unread 05-13-2021, 11:29 AM   #24
MesaTileworks

I figured an SLC was an option. Anyone use Planipatch for something like this?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase