Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-19-2021, 07:32 AM   #46
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
No idea if you can add more of that grout on top of what has already been installed, Russ. The instructions may say one way or the other, or a call to Custom tech support will probably reveal the answer.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2021, 07:52 AM   #47
cx
Moderator emeritus

I know of no cementitious grout who's manufacturer recommends adding thin layers over cured layers, Russ, but you can certainly ask Custom as Dan recommended.

While not a Portland cement-based grout, it's still a cement based grout meeting ANSI A118.7 and the installation instructions will still call for the grout joints to be clean and of uniform depth. Don't think you'll have much luck trying to apply thin sections over the cured sections.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2021, 05:13 PM   #48
The77boudreau

Sorry to have just disappeared. I did not add anything it ended up, I didn't want to take any chances of both ruining what was done or any unknowns. I appreciate the input and advice. I've been stuck in some unwelcome downtime with a shattered finger(unrelated)

Everything looks great otherwise and I'll get some pics posted very soon. Some layout issues I could have done better with but the Misses is happy as could be. Sure beats the old fiberglass tub shower that was in there.
Unread 05-12-2021, 07:17 AM   #49
ss3964spd

Not just broken, but shattered, Russ? sounds painful.

Glad Mrs. Russ is pleased with the results. Looking forward to seeing the finished project.
Unread 06-12-2021, 12:01 PM   #50
The77boudreau

some pics as promised

I'm still doing the last few things and have to clean up a few spots. Namely have to cut out the silicone in the niche and redo it. Working with silicone is probably the most difficult part of all this to me.

I made a few poor choices on layout that I thought would look good. I should have sized the shower for the tiles I chose or split the difference to make opposite wall tiles line up and appear more balanced. I may not have a photo that shows what I'm referring to.

The handheld shower down low is specifically placed for my wife and is a sentimental item. Otherwise I would have chosen a better fixture, but her shower, her choices!
Attached Images

Unread 06-14-2021, 10:57 AM   #51
ss3964spd

Looks pretty good from here, Russ, well done.

We all know where each imperfection is, each compromise, when we DIY but most anyone else that sees the finished product doesn't. No one has yet to call me out on my baffling decisions.
Unread 06-14-2021, 11:09 AM   #52
cx
Moderator emeritus

Never seen the under-bench niche before, Russ. What's her thinking there?

I'll put a copy of that in our Alumni Photo Album.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2021, 12:54 PM   #53
The77boudreau

Well the under bench niche just happened out of convenience. The bench was located for easy access to plumbing for another bathroom.
There are a few reasons for the niche there such as 2 walls being partially or fully exterior walls, thermal envelope issues could arise. The other walls have fixtures and plumbing or other utilities in them.
We both have unconventional tastes for or house design and felt an out of the way storage area would be most practical. It's not nearly as big as she needs for EVERYTHING....she requires lots of stuff to shower apparently. She has a little teak bench she can store additional stuff on and move it around to massage her back and/or neck if needed. The bench fits in the corner as you are walking in.
She's very happy and that's all I could ask for. Thank you for the kind words.
I'm actually surprised the niche location was well received here. I never saw one or heard of one, I kind of wondered if it was considered risky or known to be a bad idea. I detailed it like an inside out curb and even flood tested it too!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase