Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-19-2021, 10:45 AM   #31
cx
Moderator emeritus

Jason, I would point out that LHT mortars are still thinset mortars, they're just useful at much thicker profiles than other types of thinset mortar.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2021, 10:13 PM   #32
Nullsignature

Lining up Rondec where a vertical edge piece meets a horizontal

I am going to be tiling a neo-angle shower in which the tile wall ends at the outside edge of the curb. My plan is to use Rondec on the wall edging and on the outside corner of the curb, with a 90 degree corner piece joining the two planes where they meet.

I'm scratching my head as to how to approach lining these up. My initial plan was to do the wall first, then come back and do the shower floor and curb.

However, thinking to myself out loud here:

- The Rondecs basically have to be placed simultaneously so they line up

- The wall Rondec's position is based on the curb Rondec's position

- The curb Rondec's position is, more or less, based on the final tile position and thinset thickess on the curb itself

Give this, it sounds like it may be a better bet to start with the floor tile first, then do the curb, then do the wall and the floor and curb set?

Alternatively, what if I approximated the curb Rondec's position and screwed/taped it in place, then positioned the wall Rondec and tiled the wall based off that? I'm an engineer so I hate approximating when there is a chance to be precise...

If I had to approximate the final thickness of a 1/4" square troweled thinset, would 1/8" be appropriate?

Am I completely overthinking this???
Unread 02-13-2021, 08:58 AM   #33
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
I've read here that some people use little dabs of hot glue to hold trim pieces in place, W, and that mi8ght work for you.

Due to the angle at which it's held while applying mortar a 1/4X1/4 inch trowel won't give you 1/8" of squished mortar. Probably closer to 3/32".
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2021, 03:51 PM   #34
Nullsignature

Can I tape a backerboard joint while tiling it? And other joint questions

I'm installing GoBoard for a shower which uses a liquid adhesive as the joint compound instead of thinset and tape. However, for the drywall transition, the manufacturer recommends the cement board joint method- alkali resistant tape and thinset.

I'm going to be tiling over the drywall/GoBoard transition. Is there any reason I can't tape it and tile it in the same pass? Otherwise it just seems like a waste of time and money to do it on its own, let it dry, then tile.

In addition, the joint is going to be where a glass shower pane will be lined up and anchored. Any issue with this? Or should the joint and glass anchor points be offset?
Unread 04-13-2021, 05:16 PM   #35
smifwal

I tape as I go when I do floors don't see why you couldn't do it here. As for the location of your seam, I like to run the water proofing out side of the shower past the curb a few inches
Unread 04-14-2021, 02:13 PM   #36
Snets
Professional Weekend Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by NullSignature
Am I completely overthinking this???
I think you are. I had a lot of crazy Rondec pieces in my shower, I remember scratching my head too. You just estimate very closely - the rondec will essentially sit directly on top of the substrate being tiled maybe a tiny bit above in the end - so fairly easy to know wher the adjoining piece will fall.

You can also set all of your Rondec on your curb without tile then connect the wall pieces when you tile the walls, come back and tile the curb.

I hope that makes sense.

In the 2 photos, you can see the first one I was estimating where all of the Rondec you see in pic 2 was going to land. It worked out well.
Attached Images

My FIRST Kerdi Shower Project

Always look in the LIBERRY
Snets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2021, 07:52 PM   #37
Nullsignature

Thinset under schluter edging

I'm going to be using schluter shadow gap edging in a niche as a channel to hold glass shelves. The shelves are a fixed width and will be supported by a channel on each side, so the niche's width needs to be sized taking into account the backerboard, thinset, and shadow gap thickness.

1) Do I actually need to thinset under edging, or can I just tape/glue it in place and then trowel and tile over the anchoring leg?

2) If I do need to thinset under it, what is the best approximation for a final thickness of thinset under an edge trim when it's applied with a 1/4" trowel? I feel like it would be less than the standard 3/32" - 1/8" because it has openings that allow the thinset to squeeze through.

Last edited by Nullsignature; 05-24-2021 at 07:57 PM.
Nullsignature is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2021, 10:58 AM   #38
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Your option 1 should do the trick, W, for that application. Be certain you get the correct trim piece for the thickness of tile you're using.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase