Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-22-2006, 10:21 AM   #1
macck

Thinset types?

Can anybody tell why there is differance between the types of Thinset mortar and when and why they are used for specific tile jobs?
thanks
macck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-22-2006, 10:50 AM   #2
Mike2

Hi mac.

That's quite an question .

Actually it's a pretty good question but one of near epic proportions, not completely unlike: "Why are there so many different types of trucks and what are they all used for?"

So the short answer is, in our world of tile you will find many different types, different applications, and different substrates upon which it is being set. That is where using different types of thinset mortar to meet the requirements of the job comes into play. I read through some of your past posts and the 12" ceramic tile you will be setting on the floor over CBU will command a good quality modified mortar. VersaBond from Custom Building Products is the one I would recommend.

Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2006, 10:56 AM   #3
macck

Thinset types

Thanks Mike,
i'll pick up some of the modified and set the floor tile on that, but what type do i use for setting the cbu?
macck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2006, 11:45 AM   #4
Dave Taylor
Retired Moderator - Veteran DIYer -- Schluterville Graduate

Hi Mac.....

Folks here-a-bouts recommend using any quality un-modified thinset under CBU.
I'm partial to Laticrete product (Lowes or HD) and use their 317 Floor and Wall mixed only with water. Their 254 or 255 Multipurpose thinset will prolly work too.

Good luck to ya.
Dave Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2006, 12:04 PM   #5
Mike2

Lat. 317 is a good one for CBU over ply but might be hard to find mac. It is in my neck of the woods at least. Most likely wherever you find VersaBond (like Home Depot) they will also have MasterBlend (an unmodified mortar). If that (MasterBlend) is available, use that between ply and CBU. Or if a Lowes is nearby, look for Mapei UltraFlex II (a modified mortar) for the tile, and Kerabond (unmodified) for the CBU.

Or if those brands are not available, tell us which ones are and well give you some other recommendations. Hey, and sooner or later you will learn a lot more about all these different types of mortar, maybe even more than you ever wanted to know.

Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase