Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-15-2020, 02:46 PM   #1
rss1801

Glue residue on subfloor

Hey there,

I've ran into a situation with my subfloor that I'm hoping someone can help me with. I ripped up the old linoleum floor but it left glue residue on the cement subfloor in my apartment bathroom. I tried scraping it off but the cement is brittle and it's difficult to get the glue off without chipping away at it. I've gotten a good amount of it off but there's still some there. My plan is to put cement board down then tile on top of that. How important is it that I get the glue residue off?

Thanks for reading
Attached Images

Unread 06-15-2020, 02:54 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Raj.

You say you have a "cement subfloor." I trust you meant concrete. You also said it is in an appartment. Are you on the ground floor? Trying to determine just what you actually have for a subfloor.

In any case, you cannot use a CBU over that floor. CBU must be installed using mechanical fasteners over a bed of thinset mortar over a wood framed subfloor. Not an option for you.

It's very important that you remove all the glue. It may require a grinder to accomplish that, but I'd recommend you use water, preferably hot water, and a razor scraper to see if that will help with the removal. Might still need the grinder to scarify the surface after all the glue is scraped off.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase