Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-15-2020, 03:32 PM   #1
NJDSG

Gap between tile and shower drain

I've been ignoring this for a while and really need to fix it. I assume there was grout there at one time and it cracked and went down into the pan. What are my repair options without removing the drain? I do have left-over tile from the original install.
Attached Images

Unread 06-15-2020, 04:09 PM   #2
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Tile looks pretty close. I would clean it up a bit, mix some some grout and just re-do it......

“I came, I saw, she conquered."
The original Latin seems to have been garbled.”
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2020, 05:30 PM   #3
NJDSG

Thanks. I'm a relative newbie with grouting and still need to educate myself on the differences, whatever they may be, between different brands and types of grout. A while back I bought the pre-mixed shown below. Is this adequate?
Attached Images

Unread 06-15-2020, 06:19 PM   #4
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

If the area is dry and the grout joint is within the min/max width, yes, that should work. Most of the time to regrout, they say you need to dig out the old grout to at least 2/3'rds of the depth so that there's some tile edge to adhere to. Some of the one-part ones can handle less, but only if you're going over the same material, not over a cement based grout.

Note that the color may not match really closely. It might with an epoxy or a one-part grout, but not to a cement based one where the color, even from the same bag, can differ as to how well it was mixed, and the amount of water.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2020, 07:20 PM   #5
NJDSG

Ok, I appreciate the explanation Jim. The joint is within the min/max width, and it looks like there's enough tile edge exposed.

According to the specs, you have to wait 7 days before water exposure when used on shower floors. Ugh. Is that typical of most grouts?
Unread 06-15-2020, 07:28 PM   #6
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I wouldn't use that grout on a shower floor. Custom makes cement based grouts like Prism (Home Depot) that in my opinion would be a better choice.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2020, 07:39 AM   #7
NJDSG

Thanks Davy. I'll check out the Prism.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase