Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-08-2007, 05:24 PM   #1
Marge

The Schluterization of TYW

First, to quote the Sticky Note posted by cx:

Starting this weekend you may notice the absence of a significant number of our moderators and regular helpers here on the forums until late next week.

The folks at Schluter have invited some folks here at Tile Your World to a special seminar at the CTEF in South Carolina. This is the same seminar they have quite frequently for pros selected by the various Schluter reps across the country. This one is very special, though, because, well, because it's for us.

There will still be some moderators and a lot of our regular pros here to help with your questions, but the response time may slow while many of the names you see quite often are off getting Schluterized. Some of the attendees will have some computer access, but we're all gonna be pretty busy while there.

Please be patient with us.

Second, we are starting this thread so that those of you wishing to follow our progress can join in here. We'll post updates and pitchers (of course!) as we move along.

Thirdly, well...there's no thirdly...it just sounded officious.

Wiley and I arrived a few days early and have been in Charleston enjoying the good food and fascinating history. Have walked miles the last few days...visiting historic homes/plantations/museums...eaten until we needed to walk some more...visited the USS Yorktown aircraft carrier and the USS Clamagore submarine (my dad is a WW2 sub vet). Some pitchers below of one of the many churches in what is known as the Holy City, the Calhoun mansion (over 20K square feet), our lovely period room at an inn in the Historic District and the really awesome looking bridge that connects the mainland to the Charleston peninsula.
Attached Images

Unread 09-08-2007, 05:39 PM   #2
Wiley
Veteran DIYer - Schluterville Graduate

....and no, that first pitcher is not crooked. The church actually leans, caused by the earthquake of 1886.
Unread 09-08-2007, 06:24 PM   #3
chuck stevenson
Contractor -- Schluterville Graduate

The leaning tower of my namesake?

No curb, walk-in shower.
chuck stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2007, 07:18 PM   #4
GHR

Cool

Wow, that's great news! It's really interesting too. Schluter is in effect officially endorsing this forum by giving the mods the free lessons. That's better for their product(s) too I'd think. Smart move on their part, I'd think. Really smart!
Unread 09-08-2007, 07:26 PM   #5
cx
Moderator emeritus

Well, them's all nice pichers there, Ms. Hostess Person, but you wanna 'splain us what a pointy, crooked tower, a brick house, a old lookin' bed, and a funny lookin' bridge have to do with Schluterizin'? You're sayin', like, maybe there's some Kerdi in all of'em, or some such as that? Or maybe Charleston is the summer home of Herr Schluter, hisownself?

Better you should be carryin' yourownself down here to wonderful downtown Pendleton to take care of alla these people you done invited to this shindig, eh?

I took a picher of ol' John Bridge's hovel parked right here in the back lot of the Ceramic Tile Education Foundation building this very day. Now that, seems like, would be more representative of your thread title, would it not?

'Cept I looked at it and that could be anybody's hovel parked in any of several billion paved driveways across this here country. Still, woulda been more representative than a picher of a bed, eh?

Maybe manana I can take a picher of you and ol' JB in front of the hovel holding a Schluter banner or somethin'. You gotta smile real nice, though.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2007, 08:04 PM   #6
Marge

Or maybe we could post pitchers of us getting on an airplane back to AZ tomorrow???? Hey, some of us are on vacation until official duties begin tomorrow afternoon.

In the meantime, I'll try to resize the pitchers of the floating seaweed I took this afternoon.
Unread 09-08-2007, 08:06 PM   #7
cx
Moderator emeritus

Awww, don't gittin' all sensitive on us, now.

Vacation? What means this word in English, please?

Unread 09-09-2007, 06:13 AM   #8
Marge

Vacation over.....it's time to head to Schluterville. Have received some calls from folks that have already arrived and we expect the majority to be here by early afternoon. There will be a welcome BarBQ late this afternoon and I'm looking forward to putting some faces with the names. We'll make sure to post some pitchers of the opening event.
Unread 09-09-2007, 08:59 AM   #9
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Y'all stop your and show us more pitchers.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2007, 09:26 AM   #10
TGR

If you could get some info on the new drain that will convert a standard clamping drain to a bonding flange drain and pass it along in this thread it would be helpful. Like when it will be available, what it’s cost will be, and what the drain strainer options will be. That would be great and thanks so much.
Unread 09-09-2007, 09:54 AM   #11
claycarson
Commercial Cleaning and Maintenance

I went to CTEF 2 years ago. What I wished I'd had a picher of was the back streets in that little town I stayed in about 15 minutes from the Center. It had really old stately pine trees and such draped in that Southern vine called....I never did know, is it magnolia?? It just looked so sleepy and peaceful. People were real laid back and mellow, too. That was different for a Northern boy like me...

Ran into someone who knew an old teacher of mine, though. Small world.

www.tileboston.com
claycarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2007, 10:22 AM   #12
ckl111
Home Builder

Here are some pictures of pitchers......
Attached Images

Unread 09-09-2007, 11:58 AM   #13
sdk

Oooohhh Colin, don't you know you don't mess with Texas 'Specially the ones round here
Unread 09-09-2007, 12:04 PM   #14
cx
Moderator emeritus

Them's pitchers, Colin, we're talkin' about pitchers. I know you're from a foreign country and all, but if you're gonna speak our tongue, you gotta try to git it right, eh?

MMike and Bubba and some others are over here to the CTEF makin' trouble already. MMike is tryin' to figger out how many peoples is fixin' to drink beer so's he can establish a per-capita limit on accounta he's askeered we'll run out.

Somebody out there wanna start a new enterprise, start sellin' ice anywhere in this vicinity. I just went to get us 20 bags and spent nearly forty bucks and got to the ice machine to find them bags were 7 pounds each. Little bitty things, for nearly two bucks. Somebody needs a good shootin' at that place.

But we's already playin' inna thinset and new Prism grout and foam shower trays and stuff. MMike's whinin' 'cause I got a little thinset on his trowel. Goldstein is whinin' 'cause MMike got black grout on his white thinset "ramp" he built. I'm whinin' on accounta they's all smokin' filthy cigarettes inna no-smokin' area - including Gobis. Lotta whinin' goin' on.

And then Gobis started tryin' to show JB how to load the ice chest with soft drinks and JB didn't think we needed that many on accounta we had lotsa beer and I tole Gobis that JB was President and Gobis said he didn't give a rat's patooti and then.......................well, a good time is bein' had by all.

Unread 09-09-2007, 12:22 PM   #15
GraniteGirl
Ms. Makita

Send a message via Yahoo to GraniteGirl
Looks like y'all are having a FINE time

Oh, how it just sucks to be me right now

www.IslandSoapstone.com

Relax - it's a rock! What could go wrong?!

GraniteGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase