Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-09-2007, 06:48 PM   #1
TinyShock

Opps, Why does mine look like this??

Hi everyone, nice to meet ya...i have been lurking in the shadows for sometime now. Going through the liberry and reading different topics. Thanks for all the great info and help.
I was wondering what my next step would be after removing the old leaky pan. I hope the pic helps. I want to create my own pan with liner. Im just confused as to how the drain attaches to the trap. Do i need to fill that area around the pvc pipe?
Attached Images

TinyShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-09-2007, 06:55 PM   #2
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

You'll need an ABS drain, I think. PVC is an off-white, ABS is black, different materials, so get the right drain. You'll need to fill in, but I'm not sure of the details. Have you read the instructions in the 'liberry'?
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2007, 06:56 PM   #3
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

Yes, you would fill that hole,i use thinset around the inside edges, and wire and drypack, or usual concrete mix,then cut the pipe so the bottom half of your clamping drain is level with the slab and glue it on.They use a pices of cardboard or something to keep the concrete from damaging the pipe when pouring the slab.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2007, 07:16 PM   #4
TinyShock

Thanks

Thank you for the replies...i will continue to go through the liberry for additional info...thanks again...and nice to meet ya
Unread 08-31-2007, 12:15 PM   #5
TinyShock

additional reading

Well after I continued to read the various post from everyone sure enough I found several post that were in fact similar to my question. I will try to have concrete questions in the future.
Unread 08-31-2007, 12:36 PM   #6
ddmoit
Veteran DIYer -- Schluterville Graduate

We'll be here when those questions come up.

How about giving us a first name to call you.
Unread 08-31-2007, 12:55 PM   #7
TinyShock

Sure, Name is Brian...Nice to meet ya...

Just getting ready to fill that whole with ready mix concrete. do I have to put gavel and sand in or can I just use the ready mix. Also though I read something about using latex additive in place of water to bond with the old concrete is that correct...thanks again...nice to meet ya...
Unread 08-31-2007, 01:37 PM   #8
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Ready mix is fine Brian, just get all the loose stuff outta the bottom of the hole, and make sure the bottom stuff is reasonably well compacted. You could also fill the hole a bit with gravel, therefore needing less ready mix, as well as bricks, rocks, -n other stuff. I hear that cats don't work so good so don't be tempted, least the spouse catches you eyeballing her prized Tabby.

When you do the pour make certain the height of your pour is equal to, or a little less than, the hight of the existing concrete. It's easy to add an 1/8 or 1/16 of height with a bit-o-thinset, not so easy to take the same away.

Finally, be sure your existing drain is high enough. Would surely be a mood hassle to fix that after the pour.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2007, 02:05 PM   #9
TinyShock

hehe that was funny bout the cat...and she caught me...kewl deal on the replay...so i will make it a little less then the other concrete...the abs pipe is a little higher then the concrete as well...the bottom drain piece should be level with the concrete right...thanks for your help...nice to meet ya...
Unread 08-31-2007, 02:12 PM   #10
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
The height of the drain peice will be dictated by the pan you are using. I would really consult the pan instructions before mixing any concrete. Oh, wait - you mentioned that you are going to make your own pan? Would that be with a pre slope drypack, follow by membrane, etc? What type/brand drain do you intend to use?

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2007, 07:37 PM   #11
TinyShock

Question

Thanks for all the information. I decided to revisit the liberry for additional guidance on the pan construction. I have been reading Shannon's post. Tons of information with that post. Since my sub floor is concrete I decided to go with bricks for the curb.

How do I attach the metal lath to the bricks? Thank for any help. Brian (Tinyshock)
Unread 09-15-2007, 08:07 PM   #12
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Brian.

If you go to the UserCP above, find Edit Signature and enter your first name there it will appear in each post for folks to see.

You don't attach the metal lathe to the curb, regardless the curb material. You'll see the procedure in a thread in the Shower Construction thread in our whirl-famous Liberry whilst you're in there. You don't see it, sing out and someone will help you find it.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2007, 09:11 PM   #13
TinyShock

Smile

Thanks CX, that big box store book is still in my brain. So I don't actually connected the lath to the bricks. Kewl. I just apply the mud. Thanks again.
Unread 09-15-2007, 09:39 PM   #14
jdm

Just to be nit picky, ready mix is usually used to refer to concrete that is delivered and mixed by trucks. Those great big trucks. That might be a bit much to fill in around your drain.

Otherwise, Brian, just rid your mind of anything you read in a big-box book and stick around here. You'll get primo advice, and will never hear "Your receipt will print below the pin pad device."

Go Rutgers!
jdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2007, 02:05 AM   #15
TinyShock

Thanks dude, I have been tryin to help myself to the liberry information. So just making sure i got it. Pre slope, then curb, then membrane, then lath (not attached) over bricks, and then mub?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase