Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Old 07-12-2018, 09:24 PM   #1
jhc7399

Glossy sealer recommendation?

Hello folks just a quick question about getting a shine on some stone mosaic tile I just put down. If you look at the two pics one is wet and one is dry. Any glossy sealer you recommend to keep that shiny look?
Attached Images

Old 07-12-2018, 10:33 PM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

HI, Jeff.

What is the application? It’s important to know what kind of traffic the floor will see and if it’s a wet or dry location.

Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:25 AM   #3
jhc7399

Thanks tool guy,

It is a bathroom floor, not a shower. And will not see much traffic, second bathroom.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:55 AM   #4
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

An enhancing sealer will darken and enrich the color of the stone (and grout). It would be fairly durable. But will not impart a glossy sheen.

A topical coating will do the same. But because it’s actually a film layer that’s built up on the surface, it will add shine. But, because it’s a film, it will degrade with foot traffic. Think about a shiny top surface to a piece of stained & varnished dressor or something. Ok, imagine what would happen to the shiny surface if it was used to walk on. It would get scuffed, scratched, and become dull. While this finish looks great, it isn’t practical because it’s not durable. The same thing is true when you apply a topical coating to a tiled floor. And a topical coating is going to attract more dust than using an enhancing sealer like mentioned in the first paragraph. This type of finish requires some sort of ongoing maintenance. Mostly, it’s highly discouraged.

My 2 cents is to look into an enhancing sealer like Aqua Mix’s Enrich ‘n Seal and see if that satisfies you. I’d avoid a topical finish.

If you really want gloss, but demand durability, you could do something a little outrageous...and that would be to wet polish your stone to a high shine. Boy....it would be messy with water and slurry. But, it probably would look pretty fabulous.

Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 04:56 AM   #5
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Another vote for Enrich N Seal from Miracle products. I noticed it at Home Depot the other day.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:15 AM   #6
jhc7399

I ended up using the 511 enrich & Seal, they had it at Lowes so I went ahead and picked it up. Turned out very nice!

Thank you for the advice guys!

Jeff

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase