Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 12-06-2002, 04:33 PM   #1
ArtKilinski

Moving a Toilet...your advice please

My friend moved into a house he just bought (built in 1947...55 years old). The toilet is RIGHT next to the wall and it's very uncomfortable to sit on. The bathroom was an addition by a previous owner.

He wants to know what it takes to move the toilet to another part of the bathroom...like maybe 4-5 feet away from it's original location? Is it as simple as ripping up some of the sublfoor, and attaching some new pipes to the new location?

He has a linoleum floor. The house has a crawlspace and a wooden sublfoor.
ArtKilinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-06-2002, 04:50 PM   #2
Rob Z

Hi Art

The good news is that there is a crawl space to work in. The bad news is that it is likely cast iron down there and using a snap cutter in a tight crawl space can be a bit of a challenge.

Cast iron of that age is often brittle and can be broken with a hammer and a lot of energetic swings. Depending on the layout of the waste lines, you may be able to break out the 90 under the toilet, press in a service weight gasket into the hub that once held the 90 under the toilet, and then run PVC from there to the new location.

Before you start tearing stuff up, give us some of the particulars, such as the amount of working room down there, proximity to venting, and the elevation of the "Y" (relative to the floor joists) that drains this bathroom.
Unread 12-06-2002, 05:14 PM   #3
ArtKilinski

I'll try to get my lazy friend to post his specs here soon...thanks for the reply so far though...very informative!
ArtKilinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2002, 06:24 PM   #4
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
It can be done, but it won't be kosher unless you move the vent also. The vent is supposed to be by the toilet. Other things like sinks and showers can have longer drain lines to the vent/waste, but the throne is special.

I'm not saying don' t do it. I'm just sticking a fly in the ointment.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2002, 09:13 PM   #5
JC

Can always backvent...whats above the bathroom
JC is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase