Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-15-2004, 12:24 PM   #1
SweatEquitySeeker

I have a GreenBoard Shower

My name is Patrick and I have a Greenboard shower! I've read many of the posts and it looks as though I'm starting behind the eight ball. The walls, niches and seat have all been covered in the dreaded greenboard. My intent is to use the PVC pan liner over a presloped mud bed.

Can I use the Redgard product over the walls, niches & seat of the shower and sleep at night that my shower is safe and secure from water damage?

As an alternative, can I use the Kerdi membrane over the walls, niches and seat and still use the PVC pan liner and clamping ring drain?
SweatEquitySeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-15-2004, 01:32 PM   #2
Jason_Butler
Tile Setter

If you use Kerdi, you won't need the liner material. You will need to convert to a Kerdi drain though.

Redguard would work on the surfaces but the edges of the greenboard still concern me. Unless they are covered with Redgard as well, they will still wick water up the sheetrock.

Kerdi looks like a good option for you. David Taylor is our Kerdi expert 'round here. If he doesn't drop in, give him a shout through email. You can find him under the "members" section of the forum

Jason
Unread 12-15-2004, 01:51 PM   #3
SweatEquitySeeker

Thx for the quick response Jason! My problem with Kerdi is that I've already set & secured the base of clamping ring to plumbing and that's why I'd like (if it would work) to use Kerdi on the walls in conjunction with the PVC liner - I'm just not sure if that'll work based upon all the threads I've read.

Redgard alternative - For the greenboard corners I was considering using thinset and 15# roofing felt and then using Redgard over everything and use that with the pvc liner to create shower pan.

Can either of these methods work?
Unread 12-15-2004, 01:56 PM   #4
bljack

Your liner should have been in before the walls, it sounds like you already put in the walls and this leaves you with no way bring the liner up the walls and you certainly do't want to nail it to the bench either. Unless you want to take out quite a bit of your work, I'd seriously consider Kerdi
bljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2004, 04:41 PM   #5
SweatEquitySeeker

Busted - the greenboard is already up using construction adhesive and drywall screws. I'm not against removing the lower section of greenboard in order to run the pvc pan liner appropriately behind the wall. If I do this and use the clamping ring drain can I utilize Kerdi for the walls w/o using the kerdi drain and be safe? I've already set the clamp ring drain base and have very little access in order to cut out and go purely Kerdi.

Help!
Unread 12-15-2004, 07:05 PM   #6
MHI
Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

You could use a conventional preslope, liner and mud base with Kerdi walls. You will have to notch the studs for the liner, and when you replace the lower walls use a cement board with a poly moisture barrier instead of green sheetrock. The lower part of the wall will sit in the mud base and could wick water.
Unread 12-17-2004, 11:42 PM   #7
SweatEquitySeeker

Okay - I've taken the plunge and decided to go with the Kerdi system throughout.

thanks for setting me straight!!

Thinset for the setting the tiles - can I use premixed or should I really go with the stuff that you have to mix yourself?
Unread 12-18-2004, 08:09 AM   #8
stullis
Flooring Installer

Use the stuff you have to mix yourself. DO NOT USE the premixed.

I'd use a latex modified to install the kerdi to the greenboard and a non-modified for the tile to the kerdi.
Unread 12-18-2004, 09:45 AM   #9
cx
Moderator emeritus

Patrick, there ain't no such thing as "Premixed Thinset," no matter what it says on that bucket! It can be premixed, or it can be thinset, but it can't be both.

We at TYW are actively persuing criminal action against manufacturers who are labeling products in that manner, but the US Attorney General has been stonewalling. I think he was being bought off by certain manufacturers whose names will remain unmentioned. But their day will come!

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2004, 10:04 AM   #10
LonnythePlumber

Cool Criminal

How are you able to assert criminal charges for mis-labeling or mis-representation? Even if intent is shown?
LonnythePlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2004, 10:58 AM   #11
SweatEquitySeeker

Thx for the heads up CX, I have a bucket of what is labeled as premixed thinset that I was intending to use.

Can anyone confirm Stullis's recommendation concerning using latex modified to install the Kerdi and then non-modified for adhering the tiles?

thanks again to all those that chime in to help a DIYer get it right he first time around.

Patrick
Unread 12-18-2004, 12:12 PM   #12
stullis
Flooring Installer

Just check it out on www.schluter.com

They have a video as well as instructions. Non-modified will stick but the modified works better in my opinion.
Unread 12-18-2004, 01:00 PM   #13
trecile

I used UNmodified for both applying the Kerdi and the tile per J.B.'s advice.
Unread 12-18-2004, 01:14 PM   #14
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnythelawyer
How are you able to assert criminal charges for mis-labeling or mis-representation? Even if intent is shown?
Aw, c'mon, Lonny. They cause the guy to hafta spend his time and money tearin' out his CBU floor on accounta the CBU manufacturer says he gotta use thinset and his bucket says thinset on it. You sayin' that ain't no crime? Hell, them gov'mint peoples pewt citizen peoples in jail for growin' the wrong weeds in thier back yard, there gotta be a law against pewtin' thinset on a mastic bucket, eh? You got you that Nexus/Lexus access, eh? Bet you can find us some precedent.

So ease up. It ain't like I called for the death penalty. Yet.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2004, 01:22 PM   #15
HDtilegrunt

Trecile is right about the unmodified under-that's what schluter wants over greenboard for Kerdi. Hey CX, why not call for the death penalty, you know, eye for an eye, kill my floor...
HDtilegrunt is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase