Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-06-2004, 01:48 PM   #1
meredith

Moving a toilet

I'm thinking about remodeling my (very) small master bath and am considering expanding into an adjacent linen closet, which would give me an extra 2 feet. I would have to move the toilet and sink, however. Anybody know how much it would cost (approximately) to have a plumber move the toilet a foot or two?

I would like to create a larger shower and tile it (of course!) using the Kerdi system.

(Thanks for sending me the autographed book, John!)

Meredith
Monroe, WA
meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-06-2004, 02:03 PM   #2
Sean Helmi

Cost of moving toilet

I am NOT an expert but in fact we looked into this for our high-rise apartment. Moving the toilet is simple enough. The cost is re-locating the drain pipe. The cost is a matter of how accessible the drainpipe is and, secondarily, whether it is plastic or iron pipe. In our case the drain went through a concrete floor and the cost was prohibitive (not to mention having to get permission from the owner on the floor below us to access the pipe, make a new hole in the concrete, etc.)

For better information from the experts on this site I suggest you post the location, type and accessiblity of the toilet drainpipe.
Sean Helmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2004, 02:10 PM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

What Sean said.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2004, 02:12 PM   #4
meredith

Thanks for the prompt reply, Sean! Geez, I'm such a novice in the plumbing area that about all I can tell you is that it is a second floor bathroom, with plywood subfloor. I believe the drain pipe to be plastic, judging by the noise in the wall whenever the toilet flushes! This is a single family home.
meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2004, 02:34 PM   #5
cx
Moderator emeritus

That's a start.

Do the floor joists run the same direction that you will want to move the toilet? That is to say, can you extend the drain without having to cut through one or more joists?

Is there a wall below this floor in the same place as the wall you intend to eliminate from the closet?

Have you opened any walls in the room yet to have a look to see what will be required to move the wall in question? Does it support anything above it?

Can you show us a picher of the layout? We like pichers.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2004, 07:11 PM   #6
DreamQueen

Quote:
I would have to move the toilet and sink, however. Anybody know how much it would cost (approximately) to have a plumber move the toilet a foot or two?
Hi Merideth,

I live in the Philadelphia suburbs. I checked into having my toilet moved (all of maybe 6 inches actually) and it was roughly $800. I know plumbers price some things by the foot though. A new sink location was about $500.

You should be able to get a free estimate, although sometimes it can be tough just getting someone to call you back around here.

There are also reference "lists" that give rough ideas of remodeling costs. You may be able to find something on a web search. I've seen them in magazines and the trades have official ones for estimating work. I have to say the ones I've seen don't seem to be in line with my experiences though.

Anne
DreamQueen is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase