Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > The Mud Box

Sponsors

Unread 06-14-2012, 01:26 PM   #1
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Lemonaid Stands and Yard Bake Sales...

Well, it seems that places liker New York City, among others now refuses lemonaid stands and yard bake sales as "unregulated." Excuse me? Isn't this how we teach our children how to make a Company? How to start a business? What ever happened to "Entreprenuiership?" (SP) Free food for the homeless is being rejected. You can't even contribute to a food kitchen anymore in many areas. Soup kitchens are now being renamed "Restaurants" and are closing down because the cooks aren't "trained" etc.

How far has political corectness gone in an absurd world?

Gotta give it to Glen Beck.....he instituted a program for kids to set up lemonaid stands....and the devil take the hindmost! Here's a link you might like.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/incr...monade-for-1k/

“I came, I saw, she conquered."
The original Latin seems to have been garbled.”
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-14-2012, 02:47 PM   #2
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

They really can't surprise me any more.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 04:03 PM   #3
MudMaker
The Revolution has begun/Make America Great Again

Bloomberg going after those high calorie sugary drinks too.. People are too stupid not to pick these items for consumption.. or maybe it's just New Yookers....

Proposing to restrict them from being bought with food stamps.. Now that's gonna piss off a lot of Liberals in N.Y. when they can't get their pop...
Unread 06-14-2012, 05:26 PM   #4
COBALT

We live in a country controlled by the perception of fairness and liability today.

Schools banning swing sets because too many kids were getting hurt and parents were going after the school systems - now kids aren't allowed to play with balls because of the same reasons. A ball? Two kids and a ball used to be the basic definition of "play". Now they have to pretend they have one.

The idea of liability and fairness is now woven into everything. We expect city/county/state and federal governments to now govern this way because we want everything to be fair. That's because (I believe) we mistake the concept of "fair" to mean "equal". However, we choose to interpret it that way, because it's "no fair" to think otherwise.

For instance it's not fair to me that someone gets something (bigger house, bigger paycheck, better job, nicer car, blah blah blah) that I don't get, or that someone was hurt because of some unforseen consequence we have yet to try and control. So we use civil action to try and force things to be fair. Therefore anything deemed unfair has to be someone's liability! That warrants legal action to reset this nebulous balance we now all expect to exist (ex. someone gets sued because a person slipped on a sidewalk in front of their place of business, so to avoid this in the future a new law is passed). This leads to more laws, more bureaucracy. Now more regulation, more government employees to administer it all, and more laws at more cost to us. Now it escalates until no one has any more money to pay for it.

Now the local authorities shut down a lemon aid stand due to lack of permits and we're all surprised? Well, I think we got exactly what we asked for demanding everything be fair.

It's no wonder that school systems across the country can't teach our kids, but operate at over 50% administrative overhead. Lemon aid stands didn't stand a chance.

Somehow those same governmental entities got the thoughts in their heads that THEY are liable for how we live and what we eat, or how we deal with our health issues. How did that start I wonder? We have asked them to regulate unhealthy activities such as smoking (because it's not fair that people who don't smoke have to tolerate people who do), and make the health system "fair". Well, that's what we're getting. That's why morons like Bloomberg are running around trying to control what size a soda is sold for. Because we asked them to.
Unread 06-14-2012, 07:15 PM   #5
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

Freedom doesn't mean you are free as long as you make good decisions. Freedom means you can make bad decisions.
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 08:11 PM   #6
MudMaker
The Revolution has begun/Make America Great Again

Unread 06-14-2012, 08:26 PM   #7
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

This happened a couple of years ago in Oregon. The officials were threatening a 7 year old with a $500 fine.

http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/daily...ut_down_li.php

Last edited by Tiger Mountain Tile Inc; 06-14-2012 at 10:56 PM.
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 10:47 PM   #8
Dave Taylor
Retired Moderator - Veteran DIYer -- Schluterville Graduate

Seems to me gummint' in this country has a way of pushing everything down to its lowest common denominator.
Dave Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase