Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Other forums > Computer Training

Sponsors

Unread 11-20-2005, 09:02 AM   #1
Mike2

Page File ?

I'm running XP Pro and have moved my Page File onto a second physical drive, Labeled D. I have never seen any files/data left behind on that D drive so beginning to wonder if it's setup correctly. Does Windows clean up after itself or can you even view paged memory data. I do have Show Hidden Files and Folders turned on.

Task Manager does display Kernel Memory Paged and I can force those paged values to change but again, I see nothing on that D drive via My Computer or through Explorer. It looks completely empty and unused to me.

Is this normal?
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-20-2005, 10:14 AM   #2
jgleason
Retired Moderator - Theatre Guy (and computers)

Hi Mike. Not only is the Windows page file a hidden file but it is considered an operating system file as well. When you unhide the hidden files there is another option to uncheck - "hide protected operating system files".

Uncheck it and then look on your D drive. It should be named pagefile.sys and be appr. the size you specified in your virtual memory settings.

Once you're satisfied check the box to hide operating system files again. Makes it less likely you'll delete something accidentally!

Moving the page file to a separate drive is good, even better is if that second drive is on a separate controller, typically you will have a Primary and Secondary IDE controller. Split up your drives so you have one on each controller, each as master. If you have one CD drive make it a slave on the Secondary IDE channel. If you have two CD/DVD drives put one one each IDE controller as slaves.
jgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2005, 11:39 AM   #3
Mike2

Ah so, muchos grande Joe.

That was it and see all three of those page files now. I completely forgot about that switch.

I did remember to flip it back on hiding those guys again. Not exactly light reading you know and certainly wouldn't want to accidently delete one of them. Just wanted to make sure they were there.
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase