Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 12-15-2013, 04:28 PM   #61
mmullen

Photos (continued)

Name:  IMG_0403sm.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  22.6 KB
This is a Schluter drain for remodel applications which doesn't have a lateral adjustment collar. It would have been handy to have when laying the mosaic floor.

Name:  IMG_0409sm.JPG
Views: 268
Size:  42.3 KB
I decided to Kerdi all the way to the ceiling. I like long, hot, steamy showers.

Name:  IMG_0421sm.JPG
Views: 252
Size:  62.4 KB
The floor mosaic is a Daltile product called Urban Bluestone. I am a complete tile novice and had a mini-disaster when I used a 1/4 x 3/8" trowel to lay it. I was thinking I wanted plenty of thinset so I could float the mosaic sheets to the right level. But the mosaics are thick and heavy and they sink unevenly due to the two different layers of mesh backing which do not cover the grout joints evenly. I wanted a relatively dry mix of thinset but maybe it turned out more fluid than I wanted because I had thinset "lakes" on top of the mosaics to clean up. There are 2044 individual tiles in the floor (or 8172 tile edges) to clean up. That was some tedious stuff. I will never make that mistake again!

I guess I'm kind of old-school because I like the look of cove base flowing into the floor tiles. I don't see this done too often anymore.

I am preparing to grout with Silver Urethane grout from Bostik called Dimensions. I've never seen this stuff before but the binder is apparently somewhat translucent with glass beads for "sand".

Any tips appreciated. Two questions:

1) I will be using regular cement based grout on the shower walls. I want the Urethane grout to fill the grout line around the perimeter of the shower floor but not ooze up between the cove base tiles. What can I use to temporarily block these grout lines while grouting the floor? Should I just let some ooze in there and scrape it out after it is partially set? I'm not sure what window of opportunity Urethane grouts have for this kind of thing.

2) The stone mosaics have polished faces that are full of miniature pits. I think I need a gooey grout release to temporarily fill these pits before grouting. Any suggestions? I don't think a penetrating sealer is going to keep the silver particles in the grout from physically embedding in these miniature and jagged pits.
mmullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 07:29 PM   #62
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

1- dunno. I don't use the stuff

2- If the pits are large enough for grout to fit in, the only thing that will block the grout is painters tape.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:31 AM   #63
mmullen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston Remodeler
2- If the pits are large enough for grout to fit in, the only thing that will block the grout is painters tape.
Is that because no manufacturer produces a grout release that is compatible with urethane based grouts?
I could tape the entire shower floor and then slice out the grout lines with a utility knife. That is a big job though because the grout lines number 40 x 52.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:14 AM   #64
mmullen

The pits in the top of the polished stone are very tiny, microscopic. But there are a lot of them and they are large enough to trap the finer particles in the grout. What can I fill them with before grouting?
Old 12-16-2013, 01:03 PM   #65
mmullen

I wonder if I could warm a stick of canning paraffin wax and gently rub it on the mosaic surface (flat) and then vacuum up any remaining shavings?

I just don't see myself applying and removing masking tape to 2044 individual tiles!
Old 12-16-2013, 01:05 PM   #66
ryanfpgh

Bostik makes / endorses Blaze cleaner for removing urethane grout haze. Works great

http://www.bostik-us.com/sites/default/files/Blaze.pdf
Old 12-16-2013, 02:31 PM   #67
mmullen

Thanks, I'll have to get some of that for cleaning after grouting.

However, I think I also need something to keep the silver coloring particles out of the many tiny pits because many of them appear to be natural traps being sharp edged (when viewed under magnification) and many of them appear deeper than wide, like miniature jagged caves in the flat, polished surface.

Does anyone think the paraffin (rubbed on the surface before grouting) will cause issues?
Old 04-03-2014, 05:52 PM   #68
mmullen

Good caulk to use to embed tempered glass

I'll be grouting and caulking the inside of my shower in the next couple of weeks and would like recommendations on sealant around the bottom of the glass wall which is sitting on setting blocks and surrounded by tile with a gap of 1/8 to 1/4" on all sides.

The tile grout is sanded bright white Portland type grout and I'm undecided on whether to use clear or white to bed the glass. Tiles are glazed white softbody ceramic with the reddish brown cut edge exposed to the caulk channel/ glass. I'm not sure how this will affect the appearance if I choose to bed the glass in clear caulk. Ease of application and cost are low priorities while durability is a high priority. Regular silicone supports mold growth (the bottom edge will see a lot of water). Is there something better?

Pros/cons of white/clear and also specific product recommendations in clear or bright white appreciated.

Also, I have seen the recommendation to grout first, caulk second. Is this generally good advice and are there specific instances where it might make more sense to caulk first/grout second?.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase