Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 10-30-2018, 12:56 PM   #16
cx
Da Home Builder

Using the direct bonded waterproofing membrane of your choice you can apply that membrane directly to your CMU rough curb, Joe.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 07:58 AM   #17
1hawaii50

Thank you! I'm tearing the shower out tomorrow night, plumbing inspector is scheduled for Friday morning and then I'll finish gutting to the studs on Saturday.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:07 AM   #18
1hawaii50

CX, I've been doing a ton of reading...I see you recommend tiling and maybe even grouting the walls before "pouring" the mud floor and "brick-building" the curb. Do I drywall down to 1" off of the concrete slab and then Kerdi, and then fill that small 1" void with the pan mud?

Last edited by 1hawaii50; 10-31-2018 at 09:21 AM.
1hawaii50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 01:47 PM   #19
cx
Da Home Builder

You've read correctly, Joe. I don't even set the drain for such showers until the ceiling and walls are nearly done so's to have nothing to protect or damage until that point.

I generally set my wallboard about 1/2" above the rough floor just out of habit.

Old 10-31-2018, 02:05 PM   #20
Kman

If you have an 8' ceiling, two pieces of 4' tall sheetrock, should result in 1/2-3/4" gap at the bottom. This assumes that the 1/2" ceiling board is already in, and you install the top piece first.

However it turns out, the bottom edge should be just over the top of the bottom plate of your framing. You'll have to start with the second row of tile up from the floor, then do the bottom row after the floor is in.

Nothing wrong with that approach, but protecting the floor is as simple as putting a piece of sheetrock on the floor, leaving a gap around the perimeter for the wall tile to be installed.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:11 PM   #21
1hawaii50

Thanks for all of the advice! I ended up buying kerdi for the walls, 2 kerdi niches, a kerdi drain, and a kerdi corner bench. I tore out the old shower and surround tonight....
Attached Images

Last edited by 1hawaii50; 11-01-2018 at 06:39 PM.
1hawaii50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:41 PM   #22
1hawaii50

The flex hose is the dryer vent. I have a roof vent, just need to have it installed and then I can get rid of the flex hose. It sure looks like I have a 2" cast iron into a fernco to 1.5" for the tub drain....

The plan now is to cut the concrete and center the drain. I'll see what the inspector says in the morning.
Attached Images

Old 11-03-2018, 08:21 PM   #23
1hawaii50

Ok, I broke out the concrete and centered the drain, I have my new drain installed and filled/packed with gravel under/around the PVC. I have 3-4" of concrete to pour to fill in the trench I cut...do I use sand topping mix @ 5:1 ratio for this or another quickrete product?
Old 11-03-2018, 09:13 PM   #24
cx
Da Home Builder

No, use their Concrete Mix, Joe. Their number 1101 springs to mind, but verify that. Hopefully the hole in your slab is not smooth on the edges, but best to apply a slurry of Portland or some thinset mortar anyway for a good bond.

You'll want to use something to block out for your drain. I recommend a short section of 4" PVC or ABS pipe. You must remove the pipe before the concrete patch completely hardens. Should be only a few hours after the pour. And for the Durock drain you'll also need to carve out a square section at the top of the concrete at that time to accommodate the square portion of the drain.

See photo:

Name:  Durock Drain.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  37.0 KB

Old 11-03-2018, 09:21 PM   #25
smifwal

Well Joe said trench we might no be talking about the sme thing. This may not apply. Concrete would be best. This may be over kill but whenever I do something like this I like to drill a couple of holes on each side of the old and slide in some rebar in. I drill deep enough so I can slide it in one side then pull it back out and slide it in the hole on the other side. So now you have one full piece spanning the distance. Does that make sense? Then mix up some Portland cement or thinset and put it on the old concrete as a bonding agent. Again maybe over kill but it gives me peice of mind
Old 11-03-2018, 09:35 PM   #26
cx
Da Home Builder

Good catch, Shawn. I overlooked the trench part, even though I knew he had to move his drain.

I, too, always dowel the sides of such holes in the concrete. I don't do it your way, though. I like my dowels pretty tight fit and I'll generally drill them on each side at a slight angle (easier), make the dowels long enough to reach most of the way across a concrete void, bend them down and simply wire-tie bars from each side together where they pass across the void.

Depending on the size and shape of the patch I just do what I think necessary.

I'm also assuming here that he didn't find any post-tension cables to cut. If there is existing re-bar in the concrete, I will have tried to leave it in place while re-doing the plumbing.

Old 11-04-2018, 07:59 AM   #27
smifwal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CX
I, too, always dowel the sides of such holes in the concrete
good to know I wasn't over thinking my patches, no one ever taught me that, it just seemed to make the most sense for reinforcement
Old 11-04-2018, 04:07 PM   #28
1hawaii50

Ok guys, I didn't see this until it was too late...I used the sand topping mix to fill in the concrete...do I need to pull it all out?
Old 11-04-2018, 04:20 PM   #29
1hawaii50

No post tension cables...I backfilled with gravel and then pounded sand topping mix into the trench...why am I feeling that I need to dig it all out now? Also, I'm going with Kerdi...I have everything set for the drain...
Attached Images

Old 11-04-2018, 05:00 PM   #30
1hawaii50

Ok, dug it all out...going for some concrete ..

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase