Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-02-2006, 03:10 AM   #1
netarc

Angry Bathtub/shower "ledge" has the wrong slope?!?

Shortly after our new bathroom was completed, I realized that our bathtub/shower (a Kohler tea-for-two tub in an alcove installation, with a tiled "ledge" around its perimeter) tile job was flawed - on all three walls, the m*ron tilesetter had set many of the tiles in the "ledge" so that they drained water *away* from the tub, towards the walls!?!?

Now after every shower, water ends up pooling on this ledge along all three walls. Amazing, I was stupefied that this supposedly experienced tilesetter could miss something so basic. Needless to say, they're going to have to rip out these sections of the bathtub ledge and redo it with a positive slope *into* the tub.

Upon doing some more research, I found on Kohler's website this Vinyl tiling-in bead accessory for the bathtub ... this wasn't used in our installation, though - what they did was grout the wall/ledge joint, as well as the ledge/bathtub joint. It's unclear to me where/when this tiling-in bead is used, though?

More to the point, when they redo the tiled ledge I want to confirm that the do the job correctly this time - my inclination is to have them silicone caulk the wall/ledge joint, and then grout the ledge tiles and the ledge/bathtub joint. My reasoning here is that water wouldn't get into the wall joint, and any water that got through the ledge tile grout could drain into the tub if the tile/tub joint was grouted.

Hmmm...I hope that made sense, I just reread that and I think *I'm* confused I can provide pix, though, if the description isn't clear?
Unread 02-02-2006, 03:26 AM   #2
netarc

I don't have a pic of our install handy, but here's some examples of the tub I found online that may clarify this:

This is the tub in question - if you picture this tub in an alcove with tiles laid flat around its perimeter forming a ledge, you'll see what I mean:

Here's an (elaborate!) tub with a really large, solid surface ledge ... nothing like our install, really, but I thought it was a really cool installation
Unread 02-02-2006, 07:08 AM   #3
jdm

Ali --

The tiling-in bead would have been useful if the tub was installed into an alcove that was the same size as the tub -- with no "ledge" around it. The bead would have been applied around the outer edge of three sides of the tub to form a vertical flange that would have wound up behind the wall tile.

I'll let the pros speak as to how to properly fix you problem, but I'm sure that some sort of waterproofing membrane (like RedGard or Kerdi) will be required in addition to a slope that directs water towards the drain.

Go Rutgers!
jdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2006, 07:13 AM   #4
bbcamp

Ali, that vinyl bead thingie is used where the tube is set against the walls, not on a deck like yours.

I assume from your post that the tub deck (tiled area) is flush or higher than the rim of the tub, like an undermount or flush mount sink. If so, then sloping the deck to the tub will drain as you want. However, if the tub is a drop-in type, then it won't.

The tub deck should be waterproofed, Redgard will work fine for this.

The wall to deck joint and the deck to tub joint should be caulked, not grouted. This is for expansion and other movements the will occur.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase