Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-08-2021, 02:13 PM   #1
Davidjames1

Kerdi-band on CBU to Tub Flange

Hi all,
Here is my dilemma, like many my 1/2 durock was run to the top of my tub flange. I understand this isn’t the ideal way to do this!

Here is my plan, but I’d love some advice on a few things.
I want to use Kerdi-band to bridge the gap with a little slack when installed. I would be Using Kerdi-fix for the flange to band connection and thinset for durock to band connection. But my question is, which thinset should I use? I know they recommend unmodified, but that’s obviously for adhering to Kerdi products. What about to cbu? Would something like versabond work?

Thanks.
Unread 10-08-2021, 02:45 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

VersaBond will work quite well in that application, David. See my warranty information below.

You will also need to use Kerdi to waterproof the entire shower wall, of course.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2021, 03:12 PM   #3
Davidjames1

I was planning on keeping the durock on the walls and using redguard before tile.
After applying the kerdi band to the durock, would applying red guard over the band be ok?
Unread 10-08-2021, 03:22 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Probably, but no one knows if RedGard over KerdiBand provides a waterproof seam. If you do it in that order, your membranes would at least be shingled at the junction.

Even more important will be your treatment of the waterproofing at the tub leg, which I'm sure you've planned.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Unread 10-08-2021, 05:26 PM   #5
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Schluter calls for the joint between KerdiBand and the tub to be done using KerdiFix...you can try it with Versabond, but it's not what's recommended for long-term reliability. The mortar works fine on the cbu.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2021, 05:52 PM   #6
Davidjames1

Sorry for confusion. I am using Kerdi-fix for the flange. Was more curious is versabond will bond the band to cbu fine.
Unread 10-08-2021, 07:03 PM   #7
jadnashua

STAR Senior Contributor

In that case, YES...but, keep in mind, thinset does NOT stick to Kerdi (or KerdiBand)...it adheres because it flows around the fleece and then cures...so, that's why the instructions call for mixing the thinset on the low end of stiffness listed for the product AND, make sure to wipe the board with a wet sponge first so that it doesn't suck too much moisture out of the thinset, making it stiffer, before you get to actually installing the banding. If it doesn't flow around the fleece (the entire band should be covered with thinset if you pull it off to check) for it to work properly.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
Unread 10-08-2021, 07:06 PM   #8
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by David, Post #1
I would be Using Kerdi-fix for the flange to band connection and thinset for durock to band connection.
I think he's got a handle on it, Jim.

Unread 10-08-2021, 07:27 PM   #9
Davidjames1

Thanks guys. I did a test with a 3/16 v trowel and had full coverage.
I’ll sponge the durock before applying thinset.

I’m using 12x24 tiles (not sure I mentioned this)

I will be applying redguard to my durock as I have unfaced insulation behind it and no plastic. Once the thinset has moderately cured should I redguard over the kerdi-band? I would assume yes…
Unread 10-08-2021, 07:47 PM   #10
jadnashua

STAR Senior Contributor

Personally, I'd use Kerdi on the whole shower, but if I was going to use this hybrid method, I'd just put RedGard over the top edge of the KerdiBand so it acted like a shingle rather than covering the whole band. That way, if the Redgard didn't stick well, at least the thinset should bond with the Kerdiband.

Since it's not an approved method, not sure. You might call Custom Building Products for their thoughts with that product combination, as they may have dealt with it before...I think Schluter would say just use Kerdi, but I could be wrong there as well!?
Unread 10-08-2021, 08:05 PM   #11
Davidjames1

When you say use Kerdi for the shower system are you meaning rip out the durock and use Kerdi board? To be honest i can’t find any Kerdi board locally in Salem Oregon. I have not looked hard but places like lowes who carry Kerdi are all out.
Unread 10-08-2021, 08:46 PM   #12
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

In this scenario, Jim is referring to using a roll of Kerdi membrane, rather than the RedGard. He is not referring to KerdiBoard in any way.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2021, 09:02 PM   #13
Davidjames1

Ahh makes sense! And you would just use the durock as a substrate for it?

This product correct? Schluter Kerdi - 54 SQ FT https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003C6AMCA...K9S3VFSRYRNHQE
Unread 10-08-2021, 11:46 PM   #14
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Yes, to both questions.

Or you could go off-grid and use your RedGard if you’re comfortable with nobody giving you an official approval.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2021, 01:19 AM   #15
jadnashua

STAR Senior Contributor

Schluter has tested and has had approved, the use of various substrates, which includes plain drywall, but also most all cbu boards. It's sort of like putting up wallpaper using thinset as the glue, but not quite, you do need to make at least a 2" overlap on any seam that could be just the membrane itself, or the banding. The banding is thinner so you get less buildup. Unlike when installing RedGard, where you have to tape and thinset the seams first, let that cure, then put two coats of the liquid waterproofing on it, you can tape the seams as you are tiling, and you don't have to wait for the thinset bonding it to the substrate first, although you can...IOW, at least in a tub/shower where you're not going to do a flood test, there's no need to wait after putting the waterproofing on before you start tiling. This can save a couple of days in between waiting for things to dry with RedGard and taping the seams.

IMHO, it's harder to avoid speed bumps on the walls when using RedGard, as you can't be putting tile up at the same time where all of the thinset is malleable. Once you've got the seams reinforced with thinset, let that cure, then start painting on the RedGard, it may be too late to fix a speed bump easily.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase