Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-06-2021, 09:11 AM   #61
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

Hi Dani, firstly, are you sure that the bucket of mastic is actually being used to install the marble? Sometimes tile setters will use empty buckets to mix thinset in.

The good news is that if he installed it with mastic you have an excellent chance of saving the tiles. Especially since it's over Redgard. If you find out that he installed it with mastic then I would simply ask him to leave and not finish. Assuming he had already agreed to use thinset and didn't.
Unread 10-06-2021, 12:35 PM   #62
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome back, Dani.

I've combined you with your original thread on this shower for reasons previously explained. Too much history on what's been done and what's been previously asked and answered to let it be lost.

1. Maybe. Only way to know is try it. Longer you wait, more chance of breaking the tiles.

2. Possibly. But I agree with Jim that you first want to be sure the tiles were installed using the organic adhesive rather than thinset mortar (thinset, by the way, is not a material, it's a method of installing tile. Thinset mortar is a product used for bonding tile in the thinset method). If your tiles have been set with the proper mortar, you may not need to remove anything.

3. Maybe. The RedGard will almost certainly be damaged removing the tiles. Whether the CBU will be damaged will be apparent at that point.

4. Probably.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2021, 04:14 PM   #63
midwest girl

CX - Thanks for moving this - I wasn’t thinking this morning when I posted my questions!

First - I didn’t actually meet with the tile setter this morning - my SO thought I shouldn’t because he didn’t want me to get upset (bc it would be emotionally draining for me - not bc he was concerned that I would act rude or be a jerk with the tile setter!) + I’m supposed to be staying in bed.

I am now 100% positive that the Omnigrip premium lightweight adhesive was used to install the marble tiles. When my SO asked why he used it instead of the white thin set mortar, he explained that Omnigrip is faster/easier to use (which is exactly what I told my SO last night when he asked me why the tile setter would have brought a new container of Omnigrip to use when there was a whole bag of white thin set mortar in the garage).

My SO is extremely polite (and non-confrontational - which is odd for an attorney!) He did NOT want to have a conversation with the tile setter this morning - and if I had been feeling better, he would have left it for me to handle instead.

My SO started the conversation by explaining that we understood that white thin set mortar was being used, but thought that there may have been a misunderstanding when I saw the Omnigrip container by the shower. He then explained that we (obviously) have no expertise re: tile installation, and were confused after reading the directions/specifications on the tub that specifically state that Omnigrip should not be used with white marble OR over RedGard.

The tile setter became very defensive. His response was exactly what I predicted. He explained that he’s installed marble tile using this exact product in showers many times - and has never had any issues in 20+ years. He acted extremely offended simply because my SO asked for clarification re: the type of adhesive used for the installation.

He told my SO that he would use the white thin set mortar today to install the remaining marble tiles if that’s what we were going to require - but that he would not be addressing the tiles already installed with the Omnigrip. He told my SO that if this was unacceptable, he was going to walk off the project (which includes other tiling in the master bathroom/finishing another bathroom/installing my kitchen backsplash/tiling my laundry room floor + constructing my doggie shower/installing flooring in my master closet), and made a comment about how difficult it would be for us to find someone to come finish all of that work.

My SO said that he needed to let me know what was going on and would be right back. However, after only 2-3 minutes had passed, we heard his truck (and his employee’s vehicle) pull out the driveway.

So - looks like I now have six tiling projects (including constructing a doggie sized shower). Should be interesting considering that I’ve never installed a single tile ever . . .
Unread 10-16-2021, 12:20 PM   #64
midwest girl

Need help - have new person coming (in 30 mins) to look at shower today

I have found someone who is co I got over to discuss completing my shower in about 30 mins. He (his company) has been recommended by a close friend (my friend has a good relationship with him - that’s the reason he’s agreed to finish it for me).

I have some questions re: issues that need to be addressed:

The ceiling of my shower vaults from about 9’ to 11’. Currently, there is CBU partially up the walls (which has been waterproofed) + green board along the top part.

A. The left wall of shower - CBU stops at 5’ 10” and then green board runs up to 9’ceiling. There is a shower head on that wall at about 77”.

Q #1 - Shouldn’t the wall be waterproofed to at least a height higher than the shower head?

Q #2 - If yes, would it be okay to install Kerdi to waterproof the remaining area OR does the green board need to be replaced with CBU (and then waterproofed)? I’ve read posts on JBF (I believe one was made by John Bridge) confirming that Kerdi can be used over green board.

B. The right wall of the shower is actually a 42” pony wall with a 14” center section that runs 90” up to the ceiling. There is plumbing for a second shower head located within the 14” center section. CBU is installed a few inches above the opening for the shower head arm on this wall. However, he stopped the RedGard at approximately the same height as on the left wall (70”).

Q #3 - this is basically the same question as in #2 - Is it okay to use green board if it begins at approximately 80” on that wall (up to 11’)? I assume the new tile setter will just apply RedGard on the remaining section of CBU in order to waterproof that section over where the arm for the shower head is located on the wall.

C. The back wall of shower (no shower heads are aimed at this wall - so it’s really a side wall - but the door to enter shower is across from it so I’m referring to it as the back wall) - this is where the former tile setter used Omnigrip instead of mortar to install the marble. CBU has been installed (and waterproofed) to 70” (same as on the left wall) - then green board runs up along the vault to 11’.

The marble tile that’s been installed on the green board (tile runs all the way up to the ceiling) has lightened up quite a bit since it was installed with the Omnigrip. You can definitely see where the RedGard stops because that tile hasn’t lightened up very much in the past 10 days.

Q #4 - Is it okay to only remove the marble tile that’s installed on the RedGard (assuming that 70” is high enough for waterproofing on that wall - no shower heads)?

Q #5 - the niche (located on this wall) was waterproofed with RedGard. The former contractor only installed one layer - and I can see parts where it was missed in the corners + places where it’s too thin. I assume that additional layers of RedGard can be applied by the new tile setter (and allowed to dry properly) prior to setting tile in the niche - in order to meet the required thickness. Will it matter if it’s done in three coats vs. two coats (since the initial coat was applied too thinly in some areas and a few spots entirely missed)?

Q #6 - (I’m 99.99% sure that I know the answer to this Q - but I just don’t want to have any more issues created so I’m going to ask it anyway) - does the amount of time that has passed between applying coats of RedGard cause any issues? I know that there is a minimum amount of time needed before applying a new layer (needs to be completely dry) - but is there any issue created re: one layer adhering properly to the prior one if more time (than typical) has passed between adding a new layer?

I just want to understand what would be the correct way to finish this shower. I am going to let the new tile setter explain how he would suggest finishing (fixing) the shower - but I’d like to have an understanding of what would be acceptable.

Thanks,

Dani
Unread 10-16-2021, 02:57 PM   #65
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

The shower only needs to be waterproofed up to the shower head. You can go higher, if you like.

Do you have any photos of this shower? The text is tough to read.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase