Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 10-10-2021, 02:43 PM   #1
TileGuyCanada73

This video criticizes Ditra because it ruins a subfloor when tile needs to be replace

Comments are disabled on the original video but I'm curious what people think.
When I do need to replace tiles in 20-30 years, will I need to tear out my subfloor?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWHPztJUHKw
Unread 10-10-2021, 03:18 PM   #2
Tile & Stone Guild
King Of Tile

Laughable, he doesn’t thinset his board down. He should take it one step farther than disabling the comments and delete the video all together. ZERO credibility with a video that is complaining about having to work at a tear out.
Unread 10-10-2021, 03:23 PM   #3
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

I think his comments are turned off because he's tired of people correcting him. Many folks on the forum have seen his videos and we've watched many videos with many mistakes. This video has multiple mistakes and we can discuss them if you want. But it seems like you are interested in assessing whether Ditra is good or bad for you.

There are generally good comments on Schluter on this site, but it's not because they happen to be a sponsor or we've been brainwashed or shills or anything. In general, Schluter is a very good company that produces good products that work well in this industry. So, with that being said...

It would be potentially much easier to replace your tile in 20-30 years because you can separate of the fleece layer under the Ditra (vs. using cement board). It would be dumb to aggressively damage your subfloor by whacking it with a mini-sledge like shown in the video. Use a flat bar and work the tile up by getting under the fleece layer. Then, use a diamond grinding cup to remove the bits of fleece and all the mortar. I've been using a Bosch 1773AK that makes very, very short work out of removing thinset mortar from plywood. When used with a vacuum, the operation is close to dustless.

Help an awesome summer camp!

Last edited by Tool Guy - Kg; 10-10-2021 at 03:33 PM. Reason: spelling
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2021, 03:30 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Steven, unfortunately the creator of that video has such a poor reputation with his videos that I would have a problem taking it seriously, even were he to have a valid point, which I don't believe he does.

And we're not talking about differences of opinion, we're talking about all the parts of his videos that are in opposition to manufacturer's instructions and industry standards.

And this case, as Jeff points out, is no different, where he tells us he never follows CBU manufacturers' instructions in his installations.

And you'll note here he doesn't understand the Schluter installation instructions for making the Ditra installation waterproof.

My recommendation is that any time you see a Star-Tile by-line on a video, you'll do best not to watch it.

I can certainly understand why he disables comments on his videos.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!

Last edited by cx; 10-10-2021 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Typo
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2021, 03:36 PM   #5
TileGuyCanada73

Thanks all. Appreciate that insight!
Unread 10-12-2021, 04:02 PM   #6
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Isn't this the same guy that says that a traditional shower pan (water in/water out) does not require a preslope?

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2021, 12:44 PM   #7
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Nor does he use morter to bed cement board to plywood or tape seams. "Been doing it this way for X number of years and it makes it tougher for the next guy to rip it out." (When it fails?)

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase