Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-10-2021, 09:07 AM   #1
Steve_K2

Creaking tile: why?

Two questions, please:

1. Why would tiles suddenly start to creak after 13 years of quiet?
-- If the installation was faulty, wouldn't the problem have appeared much earlier? Why now?

2. Is it worth trying those glues pumped into holes in the grout, or will that make the job harder for the pro I have to call in when the glue doesn't work and the tiles are cracked because I didn't fix them promptly?
-- If it's worth trying one of those glues, which would you recommend?

Background:
-- House was built 13 years ago, and we're the only ones to live in it. Slab foundation. No structural or foundation problems. (Yet.)
-- Tiles are 17" square with 1/4" grout.
-- Tiles are same in kitchen and bathroom. Problem tiles are in kitchen only. Problem tiles are between stove and corner of island. Island has sink and dishwasher. Never a leak under sink. Two or three times a little water in front of the dishwasher, about five feet from problem tiles. (I'm wondering if leaks can get through grout to dissolve the adhesive under the tiles.)
-- Doubt it matters but just in case: about a month ago I pulled out the refrigerator (large, 26 cubic feet) to fix a drainage problem. Some water, maybe a quarter cup, would be found in front of the fridge in the morning. No water since fixing the fridge. The problem tiles are about five feet from the fridge.

Thanks in advance for all advice.
Unread 10-10-2021, 09:19 AM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Welcome to the forum, Steve.

This is very early in the conversation, so I’m going out on a limb a bit: Are the tiles and/or grout tight up against the walls…or is there a gap? If you’ve got base molding on top of the tiles, you might need to remove a small piece to see. Also, are there any issues with drainage or gutters outside the house that could be causing your slab to be wet on any sort of routine basis?

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2021, 09:20 AM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Steve.

1. Most likely cause would be the beginnings of what is referred to as "tenting," where the tile installation has become larger than the substrate, especially if an adequate movement accommodation joint was not provided at the perimeter of the tile installation and/or in the field of a large tile installation.

If you tap on the tiles in the "creaking" area, I expect you'll find some that sound hollow. And if you were to remove the grout around those tiles, I expect they will lift off the concrete with ease.

Why after 13 years? Because that's how long it took. And that's certainly not a record. Some recorded tenting failures wait 30 years or more. Some of it depends upon the bonding mortar that was used and the sufficiency of the mortar coverage.

Or I could be completely wrong.

2. Probably not.

Check for the hollow sounding and/or loose tiles and let us know what you find.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2021, 10:05 AM   #4
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

When you lift the tiles, check to see how well the original installer cleaned the slab. Many times we see paint overspray on the slab. Thinset mortar doesn't bond very well to enamel paint on a slab. This paint is a lot of work to remove and is often skipped. You also could have a slab crack running through that area.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2021, 01:14 PM   #5
Kman

Any direct sunlight in that area?

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2021, 10:08 AM   #6
Dave Gobis
da Man!

What CX said. Not an unusual timeline from my perspective and I have been answering those calls a few decades.
Dave Gobis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2021, 12:41 PM   #7
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Cement grows interlocking fine crystals when it cures. Those are relatively fragile. They have some flexibility, but not a huge amount, so that's one reason why there are deflection limitations that must be upheld. But thermal expansion/contraction if excessive, or if the tile is constrained, you'll start to break those crystals. Think of bending a steel coat hanger back and forth...for awhile, it bends, but eventually, it will break...the crystals that are holding your tile in place are more fragile and can't handle as much movement if their elastic limit is exceeded, slowly breaking more and more of them until things break totally loose. That can take some time, depending on the conditions. That's also one reason why you need expansion accommodation at least in the perimeter, and maybe in the field, depending on the size of the field and the thermal stresses on it (sun, heating ducts, etc.).
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase