Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-05-2021, 03:09 AM   #1
TileGuyCanada73

Looking for pictures of large rooms with 12*24 tiles in a 1/3 offset brick pattern

I'm really having a hard time visualizing this. Most of the pictures I can find online either have a 50% offset brick pattern or a 1/3 offset staircase/step pattern. This is a diagram showing the pattern I am looking for but I'd like to see it on a big floor with big tiles. Have any of you done an install like this?
Attached Images

Unread 10-08-2021, 01:31 PM   #2
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

This came up very first when I googled it. This isn't alternating like your pic. But it's your other layout choice. Your local tile showroom will likely have a large area covered this way.
Most of us would agree that 1/3 offset looks better than 50/50 when it comes to large tile on the floor

Name:  Screenshot_20211008-123020_Chrome.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  43.7 KB

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

It's just a clever handle.
Shady at Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2021, 03:43 PM   #3
Shaklee3

Here's my bathroom. It's not huge, but it's 1/3 steps.
Attached Images

Unread 10-08-2021, 07:32 PM   #4
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I usually run my 1/3rd pattern like your last post shows, not crazy about the pattern in your first post.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2021, 07:59 PM   #5
smifwal

3 of these are in hotel and the other is my buddy's kitchen

I did the pattern you are looking for but on a plank. The customers really liked it that it had a pattern going down the middle, yep that is what I was going for I said...
Attached Images

Last edited by smifwal; 10-08-2021 at 08:07 PM.
smifwal is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2021, 08:28 PM   #6
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

I, too, prefer the single-direction stair-step shown in post #3 rather than shown in post #1.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2021, 03:21 AM   #7
TileGuyCanada73

Thanks all. Looks like those are all the staircase pattern. I wonder why no one does the brick pattern...
Unread 10-10-2021, 05:00 AM   #8
Platypus

If your question was not rhetorical:

The 50/50 running-bond "brick" pattern does not work well with large tile since tile is almost always a bit curved, with a hump in the middle (end-to-end, one-dimensional hump). The closer the ends are to the center of adjacent tiles in the next course, the more lippage you will have since the ends sit lower than the centers, and 50/50 maximizes the difference. The 1/3 offset, or something similar like a random offset scheme that hits the zone between about 20% to 35% reduces this inevitable lippage while still providing some pleasing and functional overlap.

If there was no overlap, you would have continuous mountain ranges and valleys running along your ugly stacked pattern. [Yeah, that's right, stacked is simply ugly no matter if the tile is large or small, vertical or horizontal].

If you were asking why nobody likes the 1/3 offset that is not like a staircase as shown in the first post, it is probably the same reason that a stacked layout is ugly. There are certain rules of proportion that work, and some that do not. These rules are quite real, easy to quantify, but hard to explain why they please the eye or not. You could search for the answers by using an ancient secret: the Golden Ratio. There are undoubtedly other ratios that "work", and 1/3 is a weak but still effective substitute for Phi. Some ratios simply do not work, just as certain musical chords are pleasant to a majority of people and others are simply nerve-wracking. These can be quantified easily enough, but the underlying why they are generally pleasing or repulsive still remains a mystery.

Last edited by Platypus; 10-10-2021 at 05:08 AM.
Platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2021, 01:12 PM   #9
redlude97

Here is my 12x24 with a 1/4 offset. My tiles were heavily bowed so 1/3 had too much lippage for me. I did a stairstep layout too but didn't like it as much.
Attached Images

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase