Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 02-14-2020, 10:32 AM   #1
mwhits

White haze on floor tiles

I have a newly constructed home, we have plank floor tiles throughout the home. Where the floor tiles meet any damp area, specifically at the shower threshold, we are noticing a white haze appearing where we wiped down the water on the floor with a towel. This is also appearing throughout the house within traffic patterns, in front of sliding doors, etc. Seems to be whenever the floor gets wet is is re emulsifying a sealer maybe? The white haze will not come off once established. This is new construction, the first time the home is occupied. Builder says the tiler uses some sort of finish to make the floors "pop"

Floors are looking terrible in a brand new home.
Unread 02-14-2020, 11:00 AM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome back, Mike.

Seems as though that is a problem your builder should be handling. If his tile installer used something on the floor that is creating this problem, his tile installer should be the one to correct the situation.

From over here, we'd at least need to know everything about the floor installation including specifics of the products used to set the tiles, grout the tiles, and any sealer or topical product used after the installation was complete.

And photos of the problem sometimes help, but it's frequently difficult to see surface defect problems clearly.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2020, 11:06 AM   #3
mwhits

Agreed, I am currently waiting on the builder who is reaching out to his tile sub. I will post a picture soon and reply with the installation details he provides. Thank You
Unread 02-15-2020, 08:02 PM   #4
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

There's no reason to add a sealer to glazed ceramic or porcelain to try and get them to "pop". The look of the tiles straight out of the box should be the look you want. I can see sealing the grout to avoid stains but not to try and change the look of the tile's surface.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2020, 11:18 AM   #5
mwhits

Update, the builder is coming back out this week, says "it happened because the floors were still wet when the sealer was applied."These are porcelain glazed tiles which I thought shouldn't have anything, sealer wax etc applied, I'm attaching a picture of the bathroom floor where it meets the shower floor. This is the worst case. Also, should three have been a curb installed at both entrances to the shower?

Thank You all for your input.
Attached Images

Unread 02-18-2020, 07:52 PM   #6
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

There's no rules as far as curbs are concerned. Curbless showers are very popular these days. But, the water that soaks thru the shower floor tiles still has to be contained. How was the shower floor constructed?

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 02-19-2020, 06:11 AM   #7
mwhits

This is a slab on grade home in southwest Florida. I'm attaching a picture of the shower area during construction. Unfortunately, it is the only picture I have other than the finished work.

Thanks again.
Attached Images

Unread 02-19-2020, 06:50 PM   #8
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

The dirt in your picture looks wet except for a small spot on the right side. Was this taken before the roof was installed? Makes me wonder if moisture is coming up thru the slab. Any idea of what sealer was used?

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 02-19-2020, 07:50 PM   #9
cx
Moderator emeritus

Mike, it'll help if you'll add that geographic location to your User Profile so it appears in each post. Otherwise the information will be lost before we leave this page.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2020, 07:50 AM   #10
Tile & Stone Guild
King Of Tile

Does look like efflorescence. Try some vinegar and water and clean a small area, if it works that's your answer.
Unread 02-20-2020, 10:53 AM   #11
mwhits

Thank You , I did update the location. The picture above was prior to roof sheathing the water was from the rain at the time. I tried the vinegar (1/1) and water, didn't seem to make a difference. I've attached a picture taken after the vinegar attempt.

Thanks again for your input.
Attached Images

Unread 02-20-2020, 06:56 PM   #12
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Like Jeff, vinegar would have been on my list of things to try. Acetone would be on my list too. Pour some into a rag and scrub it a little.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 02-22-2020, 01:06 PM   #13
Tile & Stone Guild
King Of Tile

Kind of surprised it had no effect. I've certainly been wrong before, definitely on your builder to figure it out.
Unread 03-05-2020, 06:54 AM   #14
mwhits

Update: The builder has sent his guy over who is using a product called rejuvenate, which seems to be a two part system. He is applying a remover then a restorer which states on the bottle: fills in scratches, shines, protects. This has made an improvement, you can definitely see the difference at the point he left off compared to the untouched floor. However, there are still white hazy areas he is not getting up and the difference seems to be a polished or glossy look compared to the existing areas.

I have brought in a professional floor cleaning guy who stated immediately when looking at the floors that it was grout haze that was not cleaned properly before they applied whatever sealer they used. (I still do not know what the product they used to seal was). He used some of his product on a few square feet and it did take the haze away. I didn't get the name of his product. (He referred to it as a" a low pH solution), don't think we wanted to use the term "acid." He also said what the builder's guy was doing was wrong and they should stop-its just adding another layer that will fail.
Unread 03-15-2020, 06:52 AM   #15
mwhits

Going from bad to worse. The Tile cleaning Co. did their process and when I stopped in during the process I had quite a surprise. The floors had actually turned white across a lot of the surface area. Seems like a problem with the tiles. The cleaning co. says there is no way their process can take the color out of the tile, I talked to a couple tile contractors who agreed. Contacted the builder, sent him some pictures, he agrees, "looks like the color came out of the tile". I'm thinking it is time to get the tile mfg. involved. The pictures ar eof what the floor looks like after the cleaning process and the tiles left over from this job. Made in Turkey.
Attached Images

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase