Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 03-28-2004, 09:31 PM   #1
sky1way

Tile over car decking

I have a project that I am helping a friend of mine on. He wishes to lay ceramic over car decking that is on 3 ft centers. The decking is original to the home and has bowed some over the years. In other words, not flat. Would a self leveling compound with a screen be the way to go? Lay some caulk down between the boards and build some dams around the outside maybe? The decking seems to be pretty solid and I didn't notice any deflection. Any advice wouls be helpful, thank you. Steve
Old 03-28-2004, 10:40 PM   #2
cx
Da Home Builder

Probably not a good plan, Steve, but first you gotta give us more info on the existing floor.

What you refer to as "car decking" is what? one-by boards, two-by boards? Tongue & groove? What are the joists that are three feet apart? What size? Longest unsupported span? Over a crawl space, basement, second floor? Etc. We'll need all that to determine if the floor structure is adequate to start with before we deal with the leveling problem.

Would you have enough vertical room to add an inch and a quarter or more of mud before the tile?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 12:17 AM   #3
T_Hulse
Tile Contractor

CX around here car decking usually means 2x6 t&g fir laid flat.
Steve is the car decking exposed to a room below? If so I would think you would have a tough time keeping SLC from seeping through. Mud would sure be nice if you can afford the height.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:15 AM   #4
sky1way

The Decking is 2x6 T&G fir on 3' centers supported by 4x12's with a span of 13'? over a crawl space. The height is an issue. I have about an 1" to play with.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:42 AM   #5
bbcamp

Your decking and joists are good for stone, if you want.

You will have to add 1/2" plywood over the decking, then an underlayment. 1/4" CBU will work. So would SLC.

The sag had to be dealt with. How much is it and how much of the floor is affected? Also, does the floor slope (not counting the sag) one way or another? If there is a general slope that you can live with, it will rule out SLC. You can put down the CBU and screed a patching/leveling mix. Ardex makes some.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase