Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-25-2005, 04:53 PM   #1
Kitch

Closet flange problem.

I posted my problem on the Love site, but I haven't received a useful solution yet, so I thought I'd post here. So here it goes...

After removing the old vinyl and 1/4" underlayment (leaving the 1/2" subfloor on 16" OC joists) from a bathroom, I replaced it with new 1/4" underlayment, 1/2" CBU, and 1/4" ceramic. I raised the floor height by approx. 3/4" in the process. When I tried to reinstall the original copper flange and solder it to the 3" copper soil stack, its about 3/4" short from the two pieces becoming one. I knew this going in of course, but I now need a solution. I can't find 3" copper around here and the longer PVC closet flanges slide into the soil stack thereby reducing the diameter of the soil stack (with kids, you never know what they will throw down the toilet, so I need all the diameter I can get). Could I use a 3" Fernco to bridge the gap?? I am installing a Toto Pacifica toilet when I figure out what to do. Will a G-Max blow out a Fernco or have a greater chance of leaking?

Thanks for the help,
Kitch
Kitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-25-2005, 05:24 PM   #2
jdkimes

You could use 3 of these extenders
I've never used them, but heard they work and told to use a thin line of silicone caulk between the extenders and between the flange and the 1st extender.

I have a g-max and I don't think it really blows any thing out, it's just a lot more efficient at moving things out.
Unread 08-25-2005, 05:29 PM   #3
jdkimes

Should have also suggested that perhaps you could use one of these.
This goes on the outside so doesn't reduce the diameter.
Unread 08-26-2005, 12:01 PM   #4
Kitch

How would the cast iron flange connect to my copper soil stack? Thanks for your help.
Unread 08-26-2005, 01:56 PM   #5
jdkimes

The flange is cast iron but if you look closely or get one you'll see that the connection is actually rubber, so you could use it on any material of the right diameter. They basically work just like the one you noted that goes inside that you didn't like because of reducing the diameter but this one goes outside.
You slip it over tighten down the hex nuts causing the rubber sleeve to expand and tighten and seal around the copper pipe.
You could call Oatey to see if there's any reason not to use it on copper.
Unread 08-26-2005, 05:49 PM   #6
opiethetileman

Location: in a closet with a pail of hydroban and a pail of spectraLock waiting to get out.
If it was me and my house. I would cut it off use a Ferco 4 inch no hub coupler. Then run 4 inhc pvc out of that to your new toilet flange. Also i would leave the 4 inhc pipe up higher than the floor cap it or stuff it with newspaper. Then after the floor is tiled go back and cut it flush and install your new flange. Make sure the flange bolt holes are in the rite place when you do this. good luck
opiethetileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2005, 08:31 PM   #7
jasoncpe

Take a pic, and I'll tell ya how to fix. The other flange is for cast iron. O.D. is different, plus we do want to do our work up to code, don't we?

Jason
jasoncpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2005, 10:38 PM   #8
Kitch

I'll post one tomorrow. Thanks for all of the help.
Unread 08-27-2005, 10:50 PM   #9
Mike2

Hi Kitch. I'm not worried about using a rubber no-hub connector like a Fernco or Mission, they both work well. I'm more concerned about the 1/4" underlayment you placed on the floor; 3/8" is the minimum we recommend for tile. Was it luan plywood as well?
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2005, 10:13 PM   #10
Kitch

Help, I'm trying to post pics, but am having no luck. Is there an area that I am missing that lists posting proceedures?

Thanks,
Kitch
Unread 09-01-2005, 10:38 PM   #11
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Have you found this article by one of our moderators?

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2005, 02:45 PM   #12
Kitch

Well, I attached a pic, let me know if it worked. Mike2, I hope I have enough floor. There is 1/2" plywood subfloor, 1/4" plywood underlayment (not luan), 1/2" CBU, and 1/4" ceramic. This doesn't include approx 1/4" of thinset under the CBU and another 1/4" under the ceramic. All of this is over 2x10 joists 16" OC on top of a 12" steel I-beam running directly under the bath. I am new at this, so let me know if it is enough (too late now though). Back to the problem...Look at the pic of my flange, I hope it works and is big enough.

Thanks for all of the help!
Unread 09-02-2005, 02:46 PM   #13
Kitch

Well, I tried attached a pic, let me know if it worked. Mike2, I hope I have enough floor. There is 1/2" plywood subfloor, 1/4" plywood underlayment (not luan), 1/2" CBU, and 1/4" ceramic. This doesn't include approx 1/4" of thinset under the CBU and another 1/4" under the ceramic. All of this is over 2x10 joists 16" OC on top of a 12" steel I-beam running directly under the bath. I am new at this, so let me know if it is enough (too late now though). Back to the problem...Look at the pic of my flange, I hope it works and is big enough.

Thanks for all of the help!

Kitch
Unread 09-02-2005, 05:18 PM   #14
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi Kitch,

I think whats happening is that you aren't clicking on the "upload" button after you've selected (or browsed) for your picture. I don't see anything in the computer that shows its been loaded. So this is an educated guess. Hope this helps.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2005, 07:42 PM   #15
TShields

Talking copper waste line

ok.....im confussed...I had the same problem (flooring different height then when i started) and i was told that the rubber gaskets can start to leak over time. I was adviced to cut the 3" pipe and solder on copper 3" threaded coupling, then get a 3" pvc female and then extend to where you need it via PVC. Is this wrong? hmmm hope not. Too late now as the sawzall blade had a good day.
TShields is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase