Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-15-2020, 03:35 PM   #1
Gig'EmKev

Hardiebacker inside angle and drain question

Howdy!

Thank you guys for the vast knowledge on these threads as they have gotten me to this point in our DIY bathroom project. I'm hoping I can learn a little something I'm needing here.

I'm working on hanging the Hardiebacker on the walls, and the shower width is about 60.5", which of course leaves enough room to slide one adjacent backer board, but not both. Meaning the left edge of the back wall backer board will be making contact with the left wall's backer board, and the right edge of the back wall backer board will be making contact with the right wall's framing. I'm assuming so long as we thinset and waterproof correctly, this won't be an issue? (Sorry, I'm quickly realizing this is impossible to type clearly)

Second question is that there are all sorts of articles saying REALLY unlevel drains are an issue, but I have one that is barely off level, that's exactly it, it isn't level. How "tilted" does the drain have to be to cause an issue?

Thanks for yalls help!
Attached Images

Unread 01-15-2020, 03:57 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Kevin.

Doesn't matter which direction your wallboards fall in those corners and if I understand you correctly I see no problem with what you've got. What you do not wanna do is butt those panels tight against the framing or the other panels. Or anything else. Touching might be OK, but best to leave them a little wiggle room. Then, of course, finish the corners and other joints per the manufacturer's instructions.

The drain? I dunno. Don't think I'd like it, but you may be able to tile it to your satisfaction. Depends somewhat on your personal tolerance level.

But I will say the removing the current mud bed to perhaps fix the problem would allow you to dispense with those plastic strips you have in there to tell your mud bed where to crack.

I see that you've made accommodation for the pan liner corner in the one framed corner we see, but I can't tell that any accommodation was made where we see that other fold. Can you back up a little and give us a bit more of an overview? Also appears not to be any blocking between joists behind the upturned portion of the liner. That the case?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2020, 04:24 PM   #3
Gig'EmKev

Thanks for the quick guidance CX!

Right, I do know to leave some breathing room with hanging, just not when using thinset and cement tape.

ouch on the plastics. I had to do that for my sanity. We will see how long the floor last with those, but I couldn't get it close to that without them. Hoping it's not too bad.

The drain may be 1/16" higher on the right side (per photo), I don't see what could go wrong, but I'm not professional either. Well on my way to the 10000 hours though haha.

As far as the liner goes, the corner on the left was 90°, the one on the right is 45°.

I'll get a broader picture after work.
Unread 01-15-2020, 06:40 PM   #4
Gig'EmKev

This is a larger look at the shower
Attached Images

Unread 01-15-2020, 06:49 PM   #5
cx
Moderator emeritus

The concern for the folded liner without having first recessed the wall framing in that area is that your wallboard will be bent into the shower at the bottom, creating a tiling surface that is not flat. This is not a good thing. And even more problematic where you're using Hardiebacker as your wallboard, which you cannot embed into your mud bed for support and certainly can't fasten with mechanical fasteners.

Unread 01-15-2020, 06:57 PM   #6
Gig'EmKev

I was afraid of a little bulge toward the bottom of the board, but nothing that would cause concern. Is this something to worry about?

If so, how could I have avoided it on the 45° angles? And what can I do to fix it now if it must be remedied?
Unread 01-15-2020, 07:07 PM   #7
cx
Moderator emeritus

If it doesn't worry you, it won't worry me, Kevin. But if it were my job, it would have been corrected before the pan liner was installed. Hie thee to our Liberry and find the Shower Construction thread. Scroll down a ways to a post about notching studs to accommodate pan liners.

This would require you to take a couple steps backward, but such is education, eh?

Unread 01-15-2020, 07:12 PM   #8
Gig'EmKev

No kidding, a couple steps is no biggie at this point... sigh

But the pictures reference on the Liberry is similar to what I did, no?

You're the man!
Attached Images

Unread 01-15-2020, 07:18 PM   #9
cx
Moderator emeritus

Can't see your shower corners well enough to evaluate your folds, but I noted no fault there in what I can see.

I was referring you to post #13 in that thread. The one about notching to accommodate said folds.

Unread 01-29-2020, 06:11 PM   #10
Gig'EmKev

Onto the cement board, I can't seem to find a way to finish the corner here where the drywall and the cement board meet. Any ideas?
Attached Images

Unread 01-30-2020, 07:21 AM   #11
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Will your tile be ending right there at that corner, Kevin? If yes, then I'd finish it with paper faced corner bead. Like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/ClarkDie...W08H/202848909
ss3964spd is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase